• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct heated LMTV headlights?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My LMTV came with LED headlights... from Bragg. In the Colorado winter last year, it became obvious to me why there are heated variants. However, when looking at various sites, such as https://www.levineautoparts.com/militaryled.html , I'm confused which heated headlights are the correct model? It seems like there are several variants. Anyone know?

coachgeo

Devils Advocate..... What your wanting to do is not worth the money. Go with new 7" Lens that accepts Halgen's and use a halogen bulb. Halogen should get hot enough to melt snow.. especially if you get the higher powered off road wattage versions. Offroad use only rated so use at your own discretion. If you do.... aim them little lower to keep out of folks eyes.

Make sure they there is not an add on circuit box of any kind to drop volts or amps in order to operate the LED's. Think those only existed for things that flash though.... but am no expert.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's the advantage of doing it that way? I'm open to it. Are the LEDs not good for some reason?

coachgeo

What's the advantage of doing it that way? I'm open to it. Are the LEDs not good for some reason?
LED's are great. They of course are only at Dot approved light levels so they won't offer a significant viewing help unless you find offroad (non DOT approved) ones . Thus mostly only advantage is significantly lowered power draw and never having to change bulbs again. BUT LED's don't produce heat and thus won't melt snow and will require heaters in lens. Maybe just use LED's in the non snow time of year if you want???

It's your money. Some wallets don't flinch easy; others it is a different story and where their wallet flinching would leaves bruises on ones arse, thus the choice to use the 700-sh bucks needed for Heated LED instead being used for diesel fuel to drive the truck with

scottmandu

The correct LMTV headlamps are sealed beam halogens. The LED headlamps you speak of are 7 inch round universal models used on any number of vehicles. There is only one version of Trucklite heated LED hadlamp headlamp however.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think my LED headlights are great better than regular lamps they put off a way better light.
Mine are trucklite. And you can find them for 300 or less from time to time here.IMG_20170706_194850401.jpg

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Good quality H4 round housings with slightly higher wattage offroad bulbs are brighter and more even light than the leds. The first gen trucklites are marginally better than stock mil bulbs. The newer style trucklites are alot better but you still get a flat spread unless you leave them in high beam. I have the jw speaker bugeyes ones in my humvee. Supposed to be the best. Come new in alot of the oshkosh mil trucks. Same odd beam spread.

pjwest03

I used H4 conversion housings. One point remember is to buy ones with the DOT marking and US beam pattern, a lot of the ones that are floating around have the Euro beam pattern. I figure the DOT label may reduce future hassles. It is a requirement although rarely checked.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good quality H4 round housings with slightly higher wattage offroad bulbs are brighter and more even light than the leds. The first gen trucklites are marginally better than stock mil bulbs. The newer style trucklites are alot better but you still get a flat spread unless you leave them in high beam. I have the jw speaker bugeyes ones in my humvee. Supposed to be the best. Come new in alot of the oshkosh mil trucks. Same odd beam spread.
How do you identify the two generations of Trucklite headlights? My truck already has LED lights, just not the heated ones. The beam pattern feels very wide and short (doesn't seem to throw light very far in the distance).

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The older trucklite brand ones have several leds all over the face the newer ones have 2 leds and are separated by a line of plastic across the center.

fire3527

Super man I sent you a PM regarding your JW Speaker lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reworked LMTV

While the newer polycarbonate lights are nice looking, I prefer true glass when in comes to optics.There is no flex in glass. Flex is bad because the lens changes with it. True, they can shatter, but I will keep an extra one onboard.

Hella is my choice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks