• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crazy Thought? M1079 box on a M1082 trailer?

Third From Texas

I'll be working out front tomorrow and my 1079 and one of my 1082's are next to each other.

I'll have a look to see if it would actually fit with no other mods (beyond adding the lower captured spring mounts/retainers).

I've seen plenty of S280's chained to the bed but those are a tad shorter and narrower box. The bed would absolutely need to come off the 1082 to fit the 1079 box (unless you hacked off the front wall of the trailer, perhaps).

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not ! I think the first thing i would do before you ever set the box on the trailer is to put retractable stiff legs on all 4 corners like the 1101 and 1102 come with but a little stouter so balance wouldnt be a concern when the trailer wasnt hooked to the truck .

spankybear

Why not ! I think the first thing i would do before you ever set the box on the trailer is to put retractable stiff legs on all 4 corners like the 1101 and 1102 come with but a little stouter so balance wouldnt be a concern when the trailer wasnt hooked to the truck .
I was thning about something like that but I think the axle is further aft than the M1101. If I built a camper right with more weight forward I should be fine

spankybear

I'll be working out front tomorrow and my 1079 and one of my 1082's are next to each other.

I'll have a look to see if it would actually fit with no other mods (beyond adding the lower captured spring mounts/retainers).

I've seen plenty of S280's chained to the bed but those are a tad shorter and narrower box. The bed would absolutely need to come off the 1082 to fit the 1079 box (unless you hacked off the front wall of the trailer, perhaps).
If It's not too much trouble to look I would appreciate it.

Third From Texas

If It's not too much trouble to look I would appreciate it.
Put a tape to it and it would fit w/o issue.

The trailer obviously have a has different CoG, so the load is shifted aft more over the axle as one would expect. But just as with the 2.5t truck beds, the trailer bed sits atop the same two-beam configuration. With the bed removed, the only obstacle that protrudes up above the frame rail is the landing gear on the trailer's yoke. That is the limit as far as how far forward you could adjust the mount (but you'd not want to make it nose-heavy anyway).

The box is ~12.5 ft long and the trailer bed is actually a couple inches longer.

But yep, fab you some lower mounts for the captured spring system and slap it on there. You even have some fine tuning ability if you bust out the slide rule and calculate where you want it as far a CoG...

Edit: btw I checked both bed models of the M1082(2004 and 2007) just to be safe and got the same results

Last edited:

Third From Texas

at quick glance the trailer chassis looks potentially more narrow than the truck chassis.... so the 1079's sub chassis may not line up with the trailer chassis.
Negative

Identical through out. My AO 1078, A1R 1079, and both models of the trailer....all the same. I'm pretty certain that even the up-armored cab trucks run the same frame rail specs. All part of the "modular" concept.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thning about something like that but I think the axle is further aft than the M1101. If I built a camper right with more weight forward I should be fine
If the drop legs had hand cranks on them you could level the trailer for camping if terrain dictated and jack the trailer up in case of flat tire !

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen four M1095's sold in the past (and two of them were wrecks).

Compared to a thousand M1082's sold.

So they are in the realm of "Unobtainium" rare...
Yea i havnt seen but a few and would really like to get one if i could trade some of my other trailers 989a1 or a1082 both camo green . There was one sold a little while back from individual but it went for 5 or 6 grand i think i just couldnt part with that for a trailer i didnt give that for my truck .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks