• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crew cab build started

mattgunguy

Well after reading I don't know how many post's, gathering parts, metal and a cab over the last couple months. Our crew cab project is under way. Stripped the cab down and cleaned out all the crud from the back of the floor, & started to trim the extra cab down to size. I'm thinking I wont cut any more off till I get it set on the truck to keep things straight, or go ahead & spread the sides out & simply brace it up. I got 40' of 1'' square tube to work with. I'll figure that out tomorrow.

I'm going to be doing this different than most builds. I'll be keeping the tandems. I'm not a fan of bobbers. Some do look good, but that doesn't mean I want to own one. Also I "plan" on keeping the foot vents on the extra cab. I like the look. I'm thinking I may have to extend the bump stops to keep the front drive out of the cab. Dunno yet though. Right now the plan is to use a 105 bed off our extra trailer, & fill in the wheel wells. Saw another build like that & it looked good to me. The roof is still up in the air, extend the hard top, or do a custom soft top. I like the soft top, but money will dictate this one. I've already got the hard top & a sheet of 14ga. for extending it. The floor will be done out of 12ga. Finally a benefit of working for a steel fab shop. I can get metal cheap.

Tomorrow I get to remove the bed. The neighbors are gonna get a kick out of this. Hanging a deuce bed from the walnut tree in the front yard. Should be a lot of laughs. I'll keep a running tab on this for those that are curious.

Metal: $200
4'x8' 12ga
4'x8' 14ga
40' 5/16'' x 2'' flat bar
40'' 1''x1'' 12ga square tube

Cab: $400
Came with an extra drivers door & glass

Odds & Ins: $300
Needed a usable welder. Lincoln mig set up. Gas/flux core. I'm using solid wire & gas. never been a big fan of flux core for auto body work.

More to come :)

Attachments

Shark Bait

I like seeing good creative fab work. I too prefer a tandem over a bobber. I'll keep watching to see how it goes. I've got two M931A2, one I'm going to leave as it is, the other I'm not sure what to do with. If I even keep the second one.

Dave

mattgunguy

Todays activities have included shuffle board, cards, & removing the bed all by my lonesome. Not a fun task. Not at all. But all came out well, & I have done dumber stuff. Two chains, one short chain with two pad locks, & a 3ton chain hoist. There wasn't even much cussing involved. Hopefully I can manage to set the cab on the frame today.

Only two issues to resolve, I dragged the bed across an air line which will have to be fixed. And the 105 bed I plan on using now has a deuce bed sitting on it.

Attachments

mattgunguy

Got the cab sorta set. My beloved foot vents will have to come off. I'll loose the vents before I'll loose an axle. But at least it's on the truck now. I'll get a few hours after work during the week to work on it. I'll start the rest of the sheet metal work tomorrow, and keep at it as the weather permits. I've got right at 9 weeks to be road worthy again. Got a 4th of July show to got to. Good time, but I love doing this stuff.

Attachments

mattgunguy

I do have a fairly good idea/plan of what I want to do. I've probably read every crew cab thread on here in the last year coming up with a plan. Just had to wait for things to line up. Time, money, and parts.
Got lucky on the cab, my favorite surplus guy had it. 2 hour drive and it was mine. Came with an extra set of doors and glass.
May end up having to do a soft top. The back of the roof has more cancer than I might be able to fix. The only real down side to that is, that would postpone the next project. I scored a complete LDS-465 with the waste gate turbo for $200 a few weeks back. Was running when the feller pulled it, but it's been sitting for a few year & I'm wanting to go through it thoroughly before installing it. Would really love those extra ponies under the hood & power steering. Custom soft top would kill that right now.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I do have a fairly good idea/plan of what I want to do. I've probably read every crew cab thread on here in the last year coming up with a plan. Just had to wait for things to line up. Time, money, and parts.
Got lucky on the cab, my favorite surplus guy had it. 2 hour drive and it was mine. Came with an extra set of doors and glass.
May end up having to do a soft top. The back of the roof has more cancer than I might be able to fix. The only real down side to that is, that would postpone the next project. I scored a complete LDS-465 with the waste gate turbo for $200 a few weeks back. Was running when the feller pulled it, but it's been sitting for a few year & I'm wanting to go through it thoroughly before installing it. Would really love those extra ponies under the hood & power steering. Custom soft top would kill that right now.
You can swap the IP and hydro pump from that motor onto your LDT till you finish going through it.

mattgunguy

Why not cut into the front cab to install the vents?
In a nut shell. Because I didn't think of that. Darn good idea, but to late for it now. Cut them off yesterday. Hoping to have the prep work done by the weekend, so I can start joining the cabs over the weekend.

Gimpy. I've given some thought about doing just that, but I haven't put much research into what's involved as of yet.

Last edited:

camoyj7

When I did my crew cabs I would wait to add bracing until I had cabs joined together. That way I could make sure it was level and square. I used pieces of wood under the extra cab to level it to the main cab. Then slide them together and take lots of measurements. Once they were tacked together in a few places take lots of measurements again!

502NDMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starting my own crew cab build, can you fab the crew cab on a jig separate from the the truck?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks