• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crush pile find CUCV M1009

cucvrus

First off I want to say I do not have a pictures yet. They are coming. I did not have my camera with me during my adventure. I made a scrap pile find while out at a local salvage yard getting a few parts for another project. I went down to the crush pile and I saw an old Chevy Blazer sitting in amongst the vehicles that were being smashed down and stacked by the crusher. The first thing that caught my eye was that it had a brush guard on it and it looked familiar. It was a CUCV M1009 with a Meyer power angle plow on it. First glance I saw that it was 686 CARC tan and someone had brush painted it here and there with forest green paint. It was complete in every way. The owner of the yard said it was scrapped as the rear had gone out on it. I looked at it and knew it was a vehicle I once owned. It was painted 686 CARC tan inside and out when I owned it 19 years ago. It was one of the nicest looking M1009's that I had bought to date back then in 1996. Upon further checking I looked it over and the vehicle was very rusty in the back end , quarters and the floor was patched and someone had bolted in a bench seat over the floor. They torched the tire carrier and the fuel tank bracket mount out of the back. All in all it was complete. I open the hood and checked under the hood and everything was there. The vehicle was as OEM as it could be. It showed 15K on the odometer. Which I am assuming it 115K. But I mean it was wired completely like new not hacked up harness anywhere. I found it hard to believe. It had plowed a lot of snow I could see that from the sides and back. It still runs and will move in 4WD but the rear is munching hard and the rear axle is walking out as you go. I will post pictures when I return to pick it up. And yes I made the purchase the man that sold it to me thought I was willing to pay more then he thought it was worth. I made an offer and he accepted with out question. It has a clean title and runs what the heck why not. Pictures will be coming. It is 4 degrees outside right now so that is not on my priority list right now. It is just another CUCV that can join the dead ones that I have in the field outback.

Skinny

Awesome! Good karma to save a Cuck from the scrapper. We don't need anymore antique rigs going to the big rust heaven in the sky :)

Even if you don't rebuild it, I'm sure you can salvage lots of parts off it for another build or parting out.

cucvrus

I will not be doing any recovery today. It is -1 outside and I don't start in this weather. So neither do the CUCV's they get another day off. Even I know when to stay home and feed the fire. It is not worth the wear and tear on me or the vehicles. Have a nice day everyone and stay warm. And take it easy on the starters and old diesel iron. Give it a rest and share a ride.

Skinny

I don't know about anyone else but I will give you a free pass with the weather. Soon as it gets above freezing...pics or this never happened :)

cucvrus

001.jpg012.jpg013.jpg014.jpg015.jpg016.jpg017.jpg018.jpg019.jpg011.jpg010.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg020.jpgDig the plow mount. Nice job. that thing was hanging from the clevis brackets and the brush guard for a long time. Still only 15 degrees outside. i wanted to get some pictures. Also check out the bottoms of the doors. No rust they are repairable. They are dented only. The rear gate no such luck but it is still compete. it started with the rear battery installed. It happened. It even has 4 of the OEM wheels. They are harder to find everyday.

cucvrus

Probably I will just part it out. I want to sell the plow. I don't want the plow. The right rear axle walks out the tube when you drive it. I have a nice 1987 K10 pick up in my field that needs a new power train put in it. Not sure at this point. But it may just go in the classifieds for sale. Long time off till I decide on it's fate. I should have taken it out when I found it with the weather it is getting packed in towards the back of the pile. I had it out in the isle sitting and wanted to be nice and parked it back where it is now. They really packed it in again. Oh well no harm.

Skinny

That plow looks rough and the installation looks like it has seen better days. May not be worth much trying to save. I personally would salvage parts off it for a clone build or just to part out...scrap the rest. Looks like no one has pillaged under the hood, still has both Gens, the resistor block, etc.

cucvrus

Come on be real. What does a North Carolina guy know about snow plowing?:-D I have a welder and a full fab shop. As long as I have access to material and the power angle and lift still work I have an operational snow plow.:-D They don't pay me for how pretty the snow plow looks they just want it drug across the lot and the snow removed. I am only kidding with you. But I plowed a lot of snow with a lot worse then this truck.

Last edited:

18operator

Wow! Just slap a rear end in and go over the plow hydraulics, and you've got a great tight space plow truck. Good for suburban drives! Like cucvrus said I've plowed with worse trucks...

Skinny

I know lots bout' plowin bub...I'm a Mainah!

That would make a good yard truck, **** you could even get some farm tags for it and take it to the local VFW for a Friday night beer :)