• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CTIS questions for those who have CTIS

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am curious about the CTIS system for the HMMWV, I understand very few were installed from the factory so there will not be allot of folks that can answer these questions.
1, what is the max pressure the factory system will allow?
2, are there normally any issue with the seals in the hubs leaking?

I have a set of hubs that I plan on going completely through before installing so they will have all new seals, since there are no HMMWV systems out there to be had I am ether going to adapt a different vehicle system or just home brew my own system.

I did see a video on a rather high end system that had remote controlled valves which had two advantages, 1, they would "dump" really fast and 2, they would only have air pressure on the seals when making a change, otherwise the valves on the wheels would be closed and the system blown down, pretty dang cool but obviously way out of my budget.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CTIS has several parts, including hubs, lines on wheels, lines in vehicle, and compressor. The front and rear axles typically act as separate units.

If you get the hubs you can engineer your own system depending on your skills and understandings.

There are 24 Volt compressors used as parts of fuel delivery systems in military aircraft. They are ideal and allow you to inflate quickly if you know how to plumb the system and add adjustable pressure sensors.

A DIY system seems as if it will have leakage problems. Ball check-valves at each wheel might prevent leaks, meaning you open the ball valves only when you want to wheel and air up and down. Quick connect systems offer a similar benefit. The quick connect systems run $700, IIRC.

My civilian H1 has CTIS with quick connects. I will NOT add to my HMMWV, as too much $ for limited payout.

RWH speaks poorly of these systems whereas someone who wheels the vehicle might like the system.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am curious about the CTIS system for the HMMWV, I understand very few were installed from the factory so there will not be allot of folks that can answer these questions.
1, what is the max pressure the factory system will allow?
2, are there normally any issue with the seals in the hubs leaking?

I have a set of hubs that I plan on going completely through before installing so they will have all new seals, since there are no HMMWV systems out there to be had I am ether going to adapt a different vehicle system or just home brew my own system.

I did see a video on a rather high end system that had remote controlled valves which had two advantages, 1, they would "dump" really fast and 2, they would only have air pressure on the seals when making a change, otherwise the valves on the wheels would be closed and the system blown down, pretty dang cool but obviously way out of my budget.
The CTIS manifold has a blow off valve at 50psi...
The steering arm cover has the seal for CTIS, the biggest issue is that the nipple that passes through the seal get worn and grooved over time thus tearing the up the seal causing leaks.
The bummer is, you Only know this after getting it all out back together.
There is a tool too install A new nipple on the spindle When it comes time to replace them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks