• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV 24v to 12v How-To

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That link has been posted many times.

The real question is, Why? What is your goal? Why do you want to change anything?

Last edited:

tjmilitary

Again why would you want to change a good design. Thte 24v system works great for us in the cold. We have a civy truck with a 6.2 thats 12v and its always a pain to get started in the cold weather. I would say just leave it 24v.2cents

K9Vic

I have a M1010 that was converted to 12volt before I bought it, they missed bypassing the resistor block. So the glow plugs were only getting 6 volts, so I had to fix their mistake. The heat system on my M1010 says 24v and does not work, so there is one reason why a M1010 should not be converted.

I just bought a M1028 and had no plans to convert it to 12v as the 24v system works. Plus I got he NATO slave cable and can jump start my friends CUCV or any local SS member's CUCV that would ever need it. Also for resale any true CUCV collector in the next few years will want it stock, so if 12v it would not be worth as much to a collector.

kenny

I have found that It is much cheeper and less stress to just get the 24 volt starter rebuilt when it goes out.
Your front battey is always 12 volts so you can hook any thing up 12 volt there.
I run a 12volt 12000 pound mile marker winch to my front battery with no problems at all and still have every thing else stock.

Leave the thought alone and you will be much happier down the road.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have read several threads about those who want to convert from the 24/12 system. I have given this thought and started searching and found this.

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/news_notes/nn10.pdf

If anybody has any thoughts.
To each his own, converting to 12 volts has advantages, such as when you break down somewhere away from home, a 12 volt starter can be had at any parts store, as well as an alternator, etc. . . Less things to break after converting to 12 volts. The Roscommon info is very good and well thought out, and they go into the pro's and cons. If you want to keep it military stock thats fine as well. Hope this helps,

And welcome to SS!

Ed

Last edited:

malibuz16

I was just doing my homework before I did something. If something goes out I can rebuild a starter of altenator. It's just that I read some people had problems. I plan on keeping my M1009 as it was.

AJMBLAZER

I'm with FMJ.

Big Ugly is still 24v but only because the system hasn't given me trouble. As soon as it does, it's gone.

The Roscommon conversion gets a lot of props around the web and various places. If you correctly follow their instructions you'll get a good working, reliable 12v vehicle.
Remember that for every complaint on here you hear about there's many more folks who have converted their CUCV's to 12v without any trouble. I know a guy on CK5 who did it and also put the standard civy accessories and alt on. He has no troubles and can get all of his parts at any good NAPA.

I don't own another 24v vehicle or know anyone who does. I'd love to one day have a bob'd Deuce but until then, I'm all 12v and so are my friends. 24v and the military specific parts are just a liability to me should anything go wrong right now. If I have a failure I can't just run down to the parts store and get another starter/alternator or the big GP board. Even the correct GP's aren't a parts store available part.

That said, it's your truck. Do what you wish.

K9Vic

Even the correct GP's aren't a parts store available part.
True, but the ACDelco 60G work just fine and only need a slight modification to work with the CUCV engine plugs. I have used them in three CUCV now. Both 12v & 24v systems with good results. Even if it was 12v converted system, you still have to modify the ACDelco 60G to fit the plugs.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
K9VIC, is Vic your name or your dog's? Or, did I misinterpret your screen name entirely? By the way, I love your driveway!

K9Vic

K9VIC, is Vic your name or your dog's? Or, did I misinterpret your screen name entirely? By the way, I love your driveway!
My name is Gary and yes my driveway is full with 4 CUCV vehicles and one on the street, but will soon be 1-2 when people pay me for the ones I sold.

K9Vic has to do with a Crown Victoria that was used as a K9 car. This was the first used Crown Victoria Police vehicle I bought about 10 years ago and have been using K9Vic since on multiple forum boards. Just want to keep my users names the same across multiple boards so I do not forget my user ID.

Screamin' Metal

Well....from a common standpoint.....the 24v system is a good system....as long as it stays a good system. Since I wrench these things everyday.....and have access to the parts....they're easy to keep up. Alot of military vehicle places when they sell them will ask you if you want it converted over. And when these folks buy these trucks....they don't have access to the supply rooms where alot of the parts are. If your a civy....try to find a slave cable. Or try to find the spec's to make one up. The 24v is for the radio....when these trucks are in the field....they're being started constantly......the ones with radios in them are usually never shut off........

So....when someone converts one over to 12 v, I leave 1 alt. on it, put the other in a box in the back, bypass the things that should be and disconnect some others.......then I wire both batteries in parallel with 1 12v alt charging them and install a 12v starter......

I've never had a problem with anyone starting their truck @ 0 Degrees F........to this day. But had a bunch of problems with the 24v's. There just alot more stuff to go wrong and these vehicles are now over 25 years old..........

Problem wise......I think the 12 V. system is easier for a civy to maintain............

Last edited:

AlexFolino

After seeing this im converting my truck to 12v tomorrow, ive had nothing but issues with this 24v system and i need this truck on the road.... Owned it a year now and only was able to drive it maybe 10 times because it is so unreliable.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey K9 Vic, I used to be on the CV board as well... I had the lifted '96 with BFG all terrains & 3.73 posi for running the riverbanks in Mexico. It burnt to the ground so now I have a CUCV 8<)

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
from a reliability perspective what about two twelves? Keep both alts & both batteries, but have redundancy ?

K9Vic

Hey K9 Vic, I used to be on the CV board as well... I had the lifted '96 with BFG all terrains & 3.73 posi for running the riverbanks in Mexico. It burnt to the ground so now I have a CUCV 8<)
I do not recall seeing that on the CVN board, but welcome to SS. I still read the lounge at CVN, but I have not had a Crown Vic for over a year now.

Chief_919

I agree that for most people a 12v conversion is likely the better path. The truck was designed as 12v, and the 24/12v hybrid system was old made so that you could jump start with 24v and run 24v accessories.

If you don't have any need to jumpstart 24v stuff, or 24v stuff to run like pumps and such, the 24v system just makes the truck more complicated than it needs to be.

I keep mine 24v because I have other 24v stuff.

That said, someone mentioned the ability to buy a 12v starter easily- that is true. Happened to me when my 24v grenaded on a road trip. The temporary solution is to buy a 12v starter and a 4ft section of battery cable. The 12v solenoid works fine on 24v, wire the battery cable direct from the front battery to the starter. This is not ideal as you are only cranking with one battery, but is is a start.

Chief_919

from a reliability perspective what about two twelves? Keep both alts & both batteries, but have redundancy ?
Only one alternator will charge. One will kick in first, then the other will sense that the voltage is high and not charge.

Better to put the spare you take off behind the seat. No point in having it spin and wear all that time.

Now if you wanted to have a whole separate 12v system, that is doable. The 2 batteries that start and run the truck, and 1 or 2 more that just run acessories, winch etc powered by a second alternator.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, sorta kinda, yeah, 2 separate 12V systems that could be selectable somehow. I mean, most of the hardware is already there. Not a big deal, just a thought experiment.
Attached is the Crown Victoria pic, Kinda redneck but thats what I had to work with at the time.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks