• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV 383 Green Paint

dkdiesel

Is the 383 Green the correct base color for these trucks? Mine is an 86' M1031 with the standard camo paint. I have dug around here and found a ton of info and links to other sites that give contradicting info. What I have found is this code seems to be most likely the color I am looking for: Green 383 34094. I called home depot and they said no problem mixing it up. m1031.jpg

Last edited:

dkdiesel

I picked a gallon of Behr marquee today, thinned it with water and floetrol ( what the paint guy suggested) and sprayed the first coat tonight with my hvlp. It layed down fine for matte finish. We will see what it looks like after the second coat. Color looks good. Are others using a hardener? I didn’t read that anywhere and I’m no professional painter.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked a gallon of Behr marquee today, thinned it with water and floetrol ( what the paint guy suggested) and sprayed the first coat tonight with my hvlp. It layed down fine for matte finish. We will see what it looks like after the second coat. Color looks good. Are others using a hardener? I didn’t read that anywhere and I’m no professional painter.
What type of paint does home depot have that is automotive? I don't go to that store so I don't know. I looked up the brand you used and it shows it as a latex water based house paint so I'm thrown off a bit. What sized tip are you using in the hvlp?

dkdiesel

What type of paint does home depot have that is automotive? I don't go to that store so I don't know. I looked up the brand you used and it shows it as a latex water based house paint so I'm thrown off a bit. What sized tip are you using in the hvlp?
Correct, it is a latex water based paint. I chose this based off of a bunch of members on here that have had great luck with it. I was 100% thrown off as well. I used a 1.8 tip on my hvlp. Had to crank the pressure up and flow down to get it to atomize ok. First coat I layed ended up being a little heavy and I got some sagging but easily sanded this morning and sprayed the second coat. I am just spraying steel wheels with it, so I figured if it was a failure it would be easy enough to sandblast off. The color they mixed using the numbers I got from this site is pretty close especially considering the paint on my truck is from the 80's. The finish is nice and flat just like the original paint. I'm no professional painter but I have painted a few vehicles with mostly PPG automotive paint/clear. The key with this is to let it look "dry" and it will flow out since it takes a bit to flash. If you try and get it to flow out when spraying you will get runs/sags before it has time to kick.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct, it is a latex water based paint. I chose this based off of a bunch of members on here that have had great luck with it. I was 100% thrown off as well. I used a 1.8 tip on my hvlp. Had to crank the pressure up and flow down to get it to atomize ok. First coat I layed ended up being a little heavy and I got some sagging but easily sanded this morning and sprayed the second coat. I am just spraying steel wheels with it, so I figured if it was a failure it would be easy enough to sandblast off. The color they mixed using the numbers I got from this site is pretty close especially considering the paint on my truck is from the 80's. The finish is nice and flat just like the original paint. I'm no professional painter but I have painted a few vehicles with mostly PPG automotive paint/clear. The key with this is to let it look "dry" and it will flow out since it takes a bit to flash. If you try and get it to flow out when spraying you will get runs/sags before it has time to kick.
I have a few I need to paint and have not looked into this at all yet since it's to cold out to do so...nuts!!! ok I'll look into that paint as the auto paint I am looking at is kinda pricey!!

Terra1936

Terra1936

It's looking great ! How much paint do you thin it will to complete the job and did you thin it with Floetrol?
No Floetrol with the sprayer. I reduce with water about 1 cup to 2 pints. Depends on weather. I have been winging it to come up with the best formula. My buddy told me that If I over thin it I will have to add more coats. I use Floetrol with a brush if I have to touch up.

Terra1936

No Floetrol with the sprayer. I reduce with water about 1 cup to 2 pints. Depends on weather. I have been winging it to come up with the best formula. My buddy told me that If I over thin it I will have to add more coats. I use Floetrol with a brush if I have to touch up.
How much paint? If that was the question? The M1009 will take a gallon or Behr Premium Ultra Flat Exterior 34094 is 383 Green.
The Black and Brown will be around 1/3 Gallon.

Squibbly

What kind of dark magic am I witnessing here? Behr house paint?
What is the resiliency of this?
This feels like the time my cousin convinced me to put a penny in a lamp socket. 😶

I sometimes have to wipe greasy handprints off my truck and use kerosene on the CARC paint I have (followed by soap and water of course).

Edit: The guy on this post says he paints his trucks with it and it been going for 5 years and still looks new. Other guy said they put it on an actively flown plane at the aircraft museum and it stands up to the fuel spills and oil, so I guess it's OK.

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much paint? If that was the question? The M1009 will take a gallon or Behr Premium Ultra Flat Exterior 34094 is 383 Green.
The Black and Brown will be around 1/3 Gallon.
So a gallon to do the whole truck and 1/3rd or so of each for the cammo.

Will you be masking and spraying the cammo, or brushing that part?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks