• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV key question

armytruck63

I searched for this answer but I couldn't find it. Are M1009 Blazer keys identical to M1008 pickup keys (assuming nothing has been changed)?

A friend of mine is getting an M1008 with no key and he wants to make a copy of my M1009 key so he can drive the truck. Will this work?

Thanks,
Matt

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep it simple, go to a GM dealer and have them cut a key code 73Y2 on a "B" blank. Better yet, get two or three.

mgramann

DH at least you didn't tell him to go search! I am sure the answer is buried somewhere in the Forum Archives. It was much easier to type YES than go look it up. :deadhorse:
I'm new around here, and have noticed the "search for it" is quite a common response. Because of this, when I have searched for answers to my questions, most of the threads I look at have little to no value. I know others are probably dealing with the same problem, and some, out of frustration, start another thread. The same "search" posts ensue, and another useless thread pops up for the next person searching.

Maybe instead of just suggesting a search, we could also take the time to post a link to the appropriate thread. Those that simply want to suggest a search, could just not post anything at all...since it perpetuates the problem...

Just my 2cents

TulsaME

Keep it simple, go to a GM dealer and have them cut a key code 73Y2 on a "B" blank. Better yet, get two or three.
2 out 3 Dealers in my area didn't have the blank. aua The third one didn't cut the key correctly, close but not close enough. Good thing the truck actually had a key when I picked it up.

91W350

Mike in Jefferson City had a ring full of them. When I arrived, he offered me one, but I already had a couple with me. I changed my ignition switches to keep some adventurous EX GI from having a night on my dime.

armytruck63

I appreciate the help especially the key code.

I also like the fact that no one told me to go search, which in fact I did before posting. To quote my first post, "I searched for this answer but I couldn't find it." Now I didn't search for an hour, but I did spend a few minutes looking. In this case the one word answer was totally acceptable and helpful.

Thanks again,
Matt

wholden

Key

I had one from a long time ago when I was in Korea. Could not find it before I went to auction to buy an M1009 so I borrowed a buddies and made a copy. I got lucky and it came with an original key that was not very worn.

I have heard conflicting stories that there are up to 4 different original "codes" for CUCV's but for all I have seen and experienced they are all the same key.

TulsaME

I have heard conflicting stories that there are up to 4 different original "codes" for CUCV's but for all I have seen and experienced they are all the same key.
My M1009 has a different door key. It was an MP vehicle at one time so my thought is the MP ones may have had a different key to keep others out.

1984M1009

I thought it was weird that it had one key for the ignition and the doors all the gm cars I saw from back then had two keys the round one for the door square for the ignition

I only have one key so I need to get a spare made

Wmwaller

Those of you with different door keys and ignition keys, I have a question. Is your door key cut like the one on eBay? I cannot open my doors with my key, but the teeth on my key are different than the eBay one. Just wondering if I need to get that to lock my doors.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one on ebay is the "stock" key that came from the factory.

Chances are someone changed the ignition switch and not the door locks. The stock key may work for your doors.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks