• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV M1009 temperature gauge

Steel Hunter

Hey guys, First time posting here but I’ve been reading the forums for a while now and I’m pumped to be able to reach to so many people with all kinds of knowledge. I’m taking a long road trip with my 1985 CUCV M1009 and I am concerned about overheating the engine during the summer heat. It does not have a engine temperature gauge in the truck. Does anyone know where I can get a temperature gauge kit so I can install it and have the peace of mind on my trip. I appreciate any and all info.

Thanks for the help

Ilikemtb999

You can buy any universal temp gauge from the auto parts store or summit. It’s not ideal but there is a plug at the water pump that you can easily use to mount the sending unit. The ideal solution would be to mount it behind the thermostat housing either with an hmmwv crossover or I’ve seen people still and tap the standard crossover.

I personally have an auto meter electric gauge mounted in the crossover but I’ve got a special one similar to the hmmwv (was from an Arctic kit)

Attachments

Steel Hunter

You can buy any universal temp gauge from the auto parts store or summit. It’s not ideal but there is a plug at the water pump that you can easily use to mount the sending unit. The ideal solution would be to mount it behind the thermostat housing either with an hmmwv crossover or I’ve seen people still and tap the standard crossover.

I personally have an auto meter electric gauge mounted in the crossover but I’ve got a special one similar to the hmmwv (was from an Arctic kit)
Thank you for the info sir, I appreciate the response. Love you engine picture nice turbo set up, I would love to find one for mine🤙🏻

Steel Hunter

I forgot you could add the sensor to the head but you’d have to either ditch the dummy light sensor or the glow plug card sensor or make a T fitting to house both.
I like the sound of adding the T fitting so I can keep all my dummy lights. Thanks for all the great ideas I have projects for days. Lol
Have you heard of the Paradox by design
Military CUCV Cooling Upgrade System?
https://paradoxbydesign.com/collections/cooling-upgrades/products/cucv-coolant-upgrade-kit

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

Steel Hunter

With the paradox kit you can add the sender right by the thermostat in the spacer provided...
Thanks Mad Texan! That’s a great photo. I’m no mechanic but I can bolt anything on, how hard was the install and how long did it take? Did you notice a big difference in temperature after the install? What thermostat gauge kit did you go with? Sorry for all the questions I’m just trying to absorb all the knowledge you guys have out there. Thanks again for your time and response.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Mad Texan! That’s a great photo. I’m no mechanic but I can bolt anything on, how hard was the install and how long did it take? Did you notice a big difference in temperature after the install? What thermostat gauge kit did you go with? Sorry for all the questions I’m just trying to absorb all the knowledge you guys have out there. Thanks again for your time and response.
I installed the kit while I was doing the injection pump, but overall it’s bolt on. I used a VDO kit, I don’t remember the exact part number. I put the kit on pretty early in my ownership of my truck so I don’t really have any comparison. Currently seems to run between 180 to 190 with my current setup.

Steel Hunter

I installed the kit while I was doing the injection pump, but overall it’s bolt on. I used a VDO kit, I don’t remember the exact part number. I put the kit on pretty early in my ownership of my truck so I don’t really have any comparison. Currently seems to run between 180 to 190 with my current setup.
Ok thanks do you know if it can be installed without taking off the injection pump?🤙🏻

911joeblow

As mentioned, yes the CUCV and Civilian 6.2 Paradox by Design Cooling upgrade kit has an extra port that can be used for a temp sensor. We also have an gauge adapter that can be plumbed into any of our kits which adds a port for use with a temp sensor.

The only downside of using the included port on the kit is the initial temperature rise will be slowly until the thermostat opens, but once open it will be a very accurate indication of overall system temperature. One benefit of that location is that it will indicate what temperature the thermostat is actually opening at.

Steel Hunter

As mentioned, yes the CUCV and Civilian 6.2 Paradox by Design Cooling upgrade kit has an extra port that can be used for a temp sensor. We also have an gauge adapter that can be plumbed into any of our kits which adds a port for use with a temp sensor.

The only downside of using the included port on the kit is the initial temperature rise will be slowly until the thermostat opens, but once open it will be a very accurate indication of overall system temperature. One benefit of that location is that it will indicate what temperature the thermostat is actually opening at.
Great info 911JOEBLOW 🤙🏻, I am definitely going to pull the trigger and do this upgrade. I appreciate all who responded to my question. Such an awesome platform this is with tons of experience and knowledge. I will update this thread with pictures when I do the upgrade❤☘🇺🇸🤙🏻

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks