• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV No Power, No Dash Lights, No Relay Actions

35Z-SGM

I have a 1028 that started up, I moved it, powered it down, and at the end of the day I went to start it. Dash lights illuminated properly, glow plugs functioned properly, turned ignition switch and everything died. No dash lights, no turn signals or 4-way, no relay action, no body lighting. I have charged batteries and power to the fuse block, starter relay and ignition switch connectors at the base of the steering column. I have no power to activate start relay and I am leaning towards the ignition switch since it acts as if the ignition is off completely. Am I on the right path here? I don't want to tear into the steering column if I am on the wrong path. Any experienced assistance appreciated.

Barrman

There is a diamond shaped black plastic 2 post wiring connector above the driver side cylinder head on the firewall. Give the wires going to it a tug and see what happens. Same with the Buss bar connectors on the passenger side firewall. 1 loose or corroded connection can cause this problem. One burned fusable link can too. Plus the battery cables and the thru the firewall plug behind the fuse panel. But, I have had the little two post one cause me trouble the most of all of those listed. Turn the key on and while pulling and moving wires, you will hear the glow plug relay kick on when you found the problem.

35Z-SGM

There is a diamond shaped black plastic 2 post wiring connector above the driver side cylinder head on the firewall. Give the wires going to it a tug and see what happens. Same with the Buss bar connectors on the passenger side firewall. 1 loose or corroded connection can cause this problem. One burned fusable link can too. Plus the battery cables and the thru the firewall plug behind the fuse panel. But, I have had the little two post one cause me trouble the most of all of those listed. Turn the key on and while pulling and moving wires, you will hear the glow plug relay kick on when you found the problem.

FOUND IT! After posting my symptoms I realized that I didn't have body or head lights and I should have. Went in search of that and found a bad battery cable crimp at the front battery, negative terminal. I guess with the extreme cold we've had here it must have done some expanding and contracting and worked it way loose after 35 years? I had power at the terminal you mentioned and nothing was making sense. Now I realize I had power but not enough current. Thanks for the assistance!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks