• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV steering column source needed

LanceRobson

OK, so a buddy's M1009 key wouldn't turn when one of his kids was using the truck and called mechanic to come to the mall and "fix" it.

Instead of doing it the correct way by pulling the steering wheel and drilling it out they broke the lock mechanism out of the column.

There's a hole in the side of the column shroud you could put your hand into. The column is FUBAR and is not repairable.

Does anyone know of a source for a good CUCV steering column?

Thanks

Lance

rlwm211

You can propbably get a column out of most any GM vehicle of that era and simply transplant the parts needed to fix yours. It would be far easier this way and less work. The column assemblies aside from the actual mount to the firewall and daah are the same.

Send me a PM and I can help you get this straightened out.

RL

K9Vic

Ditto to above 83 & 84 CUCV or Cilivan truck custom delux.
GM cucv base on 83 & 84 model years 81 & 82 has the old style and 85 to 87 is totaly a difference between wireing.

Huh??
The CUCV model years are 84-87 and Installed a 87 GM tilt column out of a Suburban into my 85 CUCV with no modifications needed. The wiring was a direct connect and only issue I had was the lock cylinder was already damaged and needed to be replaced. The delay wipers even work as I took the control module.

rlwm211

Personally, I have worked on these and have the tools so I would rather replace the broken parts out of a parts column than to remove and replace the one that is there. That is unless the owner wants to add TILT to his M1009

RL

TommyM

Huh??
The CUCV model years are 84-87 and Installed a 87 GM tilt column out of a Suburban into my 85 CUCV with no modifications needed. The wiring was a direct connect and only issue I had was the lock cylinder was already damaged and needed to be replaced. The delay wipers even work as I took the control module.
And I swapped in one from a 1991 Suburban -- the last year anything was made with this body style. The only "problem" is that the column has a cruise control switch that I can't/don't use in my M1008.

Tommy

K9Vic

And I swapped in one from a 1991 Suburban -- the last year anything was made with this body style. The only "problem" is that the column has a cruise control switch that I can't/don't use in my M1008.

Tommy
Yes Blazer/Suburban will work up until GM stopped production in 91, also the late run 1 ton pickups with same body style.

Mine also has the cruise switch that I cannot use. I thought about changing the lever with the old one, but I would have lost the delay wipers. So I just left it there and does not cause a problem.

LanceRobson

Shouldn't the company that broke it be looking for a steering column?
It's Ed King's truck. We have no idea what his kid told the mechanic. If it was something like "I don't care what you do I just want to get back home" then there's nothing to talk about.

At any rate, the column was damaged as was the turn signal stalk. Ed found a good used take-out.

Thanks for the input.

Lance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks