• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv Winch mount ideas

Cucvnut

These seem pretty cool.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm currently waiting on one that I purchased in the pre-sale but will be for the CUCV. They just released updated pictures yesterday with the tow hook integrated.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Workmanship is perfect but the design still not right. The low mount is too low, the angle of approach is pitiful. I also don't want the winch upside down.

Ilikemtb999

These look like quality pieces but also the same amount of work will allow you to bolt into a universal winch plate in the same location with the same holes drilled. Downside is it’s only bolted in on the top (or bottom) of the frame rails but a few bucks for some extra metal to tie in to the sides of the rail is pretty easy.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. I stumbled across these the other day. I think the low mount design might be useful in mounting my Hickey Sidewinder in the CUCV. Of course, the hickey would sit on top of the low mount for a nice clean install. Pondering.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
My first tool for recovery was a couple of cable jack wenches. Teenager, mid seventies getting Pops truck stuck in Wicks Bottoms on the Mississippi River, what is now Arnold Missouri. That did not work and 2 Brouk-Zeigler tow trucks were tag teaming each other to drag me and each other out before the rain and river came up. And that cost me 50 bucks.

I will give the mount setup a try, after all if you do not like how they use it you can modify what they have. I have made several over the years and bumpers for warns of different ratings. And bought warn bumpers also and in some way have always welded bolted and bent every one from some off angle get me out.

Front, rear winches different heights for different lift trucks. The one thing that is the same, not one height, size, assembly fits all. Just as getting hung up in the worst places, under mud, over, under water in roots, trees, bushes.

But one thing stay's the same. If you do not have it you can not use it.

ToddJK

Depends on what your main intention for the winch is as well. For a mud bogger or typical off roader, you probably want it higher. For recovery of other vehicles, then either a lower mounted or higher is fine. It's really for ease of accessibility and cleanliness. I've had a couple winches and whether it's on top or under the bumper made no difference as far as performance. However it's mounted, you just want a strong and sturdy mount. Usually it's cheaper to go with the lower profile mount or if no modifications want to be made. I think the higher mounts with custom bumpers and a solid mounting system is the ideal way for most people, especially for heavier vehicles, and has that cool look to it, but for a just in case kinda thing to use once in a while, the lower mounts using a hitch type receiver or the like works fine, especially on light pick ups. That's what I did for my Dakota and it works fine. On my '97 Dodge Ram I had years ago, I welded some steel to the frame and fabbed some brackets to bolt to the brushguard where I bolted a Warn winch on. I wish I had pics for that one but that was 15 years ago so flip phones were the new thing, lol.
I forgot to mention, one thing a lower mounted winch can do well, if you don't have a rear mounted winch, is to be able to rig the cable and winch backwards without the cable hitting the underbody of the vehicle. I've done that once just for the hell if it and it worked to my surprise, doesn't pull down so hard on the front end if you have a shorter lead to a snatch block.

Attachments

Last edited:

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shop custom built my winch mount for the old school Warn 8274. Angle iron was used and the existing cucv brush guard was modified. So far it's held just fine....
That looks perfect!!

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some install pics.... four rivets and reinforcement plate removed, rivet holes enlarged and two new holes drilled. Some other trimming depending on winch installed.

Attachments

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK... I have never seen this before and now I am excited. I have been pondering on how to mount a winch to my M1008. I didn't want a winch that hung off the front end like a truck wart. This BBWM is exactly what I wanted to achieve. I am guessing there are COMPLETE installation instructions for the M1008, to include wiring schematics. I have to reach out to Ben to see what this kit costs and how to get one...

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK... I have never seen this before and now I am excited. I have been pondering on how to mount a winch to my M1008. I didn't want a winch that hung off the front end like a truck wart. This BBWM is exactly what I wanted to achieve. I am guessing there are COMPLETE installation instructions for the M1008, to include wiring schematics. I have to reach out to Ben to see what this kit costs and how to get one...
Wiring is whatever winch you choose, they do list a bunch of winches that it was designed for and those will come with wiring instructions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks