• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins M35A2 starter question

290smallcam

Putting together a list of notes for all the things I'll need to do a 12 valve swap. I've been watching tactical repair on youtube to get as much as I can, but still have a few questions. So I'll need a 24 volt 28MT 10 tooth bendix gear starter. I've found them but with different pinion sizes?????? So I'm lost. Each one has a stock replacement number that it'll replace in it's spot. Does anyone have a reference number or know the part number for the one that is correct and fit?......

290smallcam

Also, I know .....🙄 Pilot bearing, the 14 inch 173 teeth flywheel requires a 306 pilot bearing. Do I need one? Or is M35 same size. Transmissions and drive lines are not my strong field so I need input from you that know.

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are the part numbers for your flywheel, ring gear if it is not original to the flywheel, and flywheel housing?

G has the right information on the pilot bushing. I was going off memory and mixed up the ID with the OD. You will still need something to adapt to the 306 bearing that has an ID of 1.179 inches.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Spicer 3053a uses an input shaft that goes into a pilot bushing with a 0.75 inch OD and a 0.5 inch ID.
Let me correct that... The pilot diameter of the input shaft is 0.7465-0.7475 inches, for a new part. And it takes a pilot bearing sleeve (NSN
3120-00-057-4506, part# 10935441) with a 0.7520 - 0.7530 inches ID; 1.0030 - 1.0040 inches OD and a length of 1.1800 - 1.2000 inches.

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me correct that... The pilot diameter of the input shaft is 0.7465-0.7475 inches, for a new part. And it takes a pilot bearing sleeve (NSN
3120-00-057-4506, part# 10935441) with a 0.7520 - 0.7530 inches ID; 1.0030 - 1.0040 inches OD and a length of 1.1800 - 1.2000 inches.
Sorry for my mistake, edited my post to refer to yours. That's what I get for attempting to help without being in the shop.

He will still need an adapter, and depending on his choice of flywheel and flywheel housing, potentially for a depth change and not just diameter. I am gathering parts for a similar swap and will have to cross this bridge myself at some point.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He will still need an adapter, and depending on his choice of flywheel and flywheel housing, potentially for a depth change and not just diameter. I am gathering parts for a similar swap and will have to cross this bridge myself at some point.
Below are some dimensions from when I went through all this...

Attachments

290smallcam

Flywheel housing #3931716 or 3908574....... Flywheel 17"@14" clutch #SKU 29-0733921263..... As for the clutch spicer style 107621-1 @ 14"...... I would really like to get a FSO-6460A instead of the spicer but can't find each part number. Just people saying to find a FL70 and buy it!

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately the part number you gave me for the flywheel is for the flywheel itself without the ring gear, and there are at least 2 different ring gears that work with it. Some are 8/10 pitch, some are 10/12 pitch. So without knowing more information, I can't be sure which pitch of starter pinion that you will need. If you could get the part number off the ring gear itself, I could look that up.

You definitely have a SAE #2 housing which uses a "SAE #1 3 bolt 90 degree" style of starter. But as you said there are a couple starter pinions and a couple potential solenoid orientations that could go with it. If you wanted to PM me your engine serial number, I can see if I can find out what it would have had originally. But if this flywheel didn't come on the engine you are using, it won't be any help.

For what it's worth, I couldn't find one of the overdrive FSO units for sale at a reasonable price either. Lots of direct drive though. I would be willing to relocate the transfer case back to make the OD version fit, if I could just find one...

290smallcam

I don't have a M35. I have a 5 ton. I really want one so I've been doing research on cummins swap. Trying to figure out how hard it will be. I want to make sure I can get and locate everything so I don't waste money when the time comes. Most importantly is will people help along with info and part numbers if I run into a wall or any problems. I try to do all the research my self but I get lost and agravated and kinda lose hope and say screw it stick with the 5 ton😞

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks