• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Curiosity - front turn light brush guard

Jeff Nelson

This is purely a curiosity type of question. All of the M35A2s I've looked at have the metal brush guard covering the front turn signals, but all of them are round on top, somewhat following the profile of the lights. The truck I'll be picking up shortly has square brush guards over the turn signals. CastleBravo pointed it out to me and I've not been able to find out anything in the IPBs or TMs. Anybody know the particulars? Hardly a big deal, but I am curious as to the difference.

By the way, thanks to Bill R. for being so patient waiting for me to pick this truck up!

Attachments

SMOKEWAGON66

In all my time around green iron, I had never seen squared turn signal covers like this...till last saturday. RedBeardZombieHunter's truck also has them. At first I though they were bent but then realized both sides were the same lol...I have no clue.

Capt.Marion

The square protectors over the front turn signals? My 1969 has square protectors, but then again, it did go through some sort of depot rebuild in the 80s. Perhaps the square ones started showing up when they switched from the old, round M-series lights to the composite lights?

Last edited:

Jeff Nelson

The square protectors over the front turn signals? My 1969 has square protectors, but then again, it did go through some sort of depot rebuild in the 80s. Perhaps the square ones started showing up when they switched from the old, round M-series lights to the composite lights?
That may be the answer. This one is a 69 Kaiser. Everything going on in my life right now and I get curious about brush guards.... Go figure...:cookoo:

joshs1ofakindxj

They remind me also of the A3 headlight mounts, but they are definitely not those.

I would look into more of the European stuff as mentioned above.

Welder Sam

One of mine (see avatar) has square guards and one of a good friends does too.. they arent near as common as the 2 rounded styles for sure but theyre out there

SMOKEWAGON66

I wonder if they are for the trucks in Europe where they had to have extra lights mounted. It is just a shot in the dark. I have no clue either.
I saw quite a few A2's and A3's when I was in europe. I had never seen any A2 with the square ones. The ones that did have additional lights attached had the lollipop cup things. If they were Euro, were they for old trucks or newer ones I wonder...

Thinking about it it may just be a similar NSN but manufactured by a different company with slight changes to accomodate cost reduction? Who knows lol. Any endless number of possibilities. But I do hope someone has an answer.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I seem to recall reading something here somewheres about a certain year of production having the square guards. If this truck is a 1969 and Capt.Marion's truck is also and they both have square guards, maybe thats it.

look like a3 guards
The other truck in the photo is an A3 and it doesn't have squared off guards. They are different in that they sit on a level surface rather than the slant of the front of the fender like on an A2.

Last edited:

JCKnife

The 1969 I parted out over the winter had square ones. Someone on here told me they were rare / valuable.

~COPIED FROM THE OTHER THREAD~
"Every truck with this type of guard was made on contract DAAE-06-68-C-0007 between 1968 and 1970. And, conversely every truck that was built on that contract had this type of guard."
So then my 72 KJ M35A2 is supposed to have the rounded ones? Anyone wanna trade? lol
:whistle:

dmetalmiki

~COPIED FROM THE OTHER THREAD~
"Every truck with this type of guard was made on contract DAAE-06-68-C-0007 between 1968 and 1970. And, conversely every truck that was built on that contract had this type of guard."
So then my 72 KJ M35A2 is supposed to have the rounded ones? Anyone wanna trade? lol
:whistle:
...........<ME ME ME ME!>

now iv'e got to do do some (more) "blacksmithing"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks