• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dan's M1081 Pick-up and Build

DanM7890

As I did with the M998 I left early to try and beat Coffey1 to the site so I could start pulling driveshaft's and get it ready to pull. Him and Andy were gracious enough to help me with the pickup by bringing up the 5-ton to pull it back with because it's a non-runner. I took a bunch of pictures when I was out there. Here's a couple tips when picking up at Ft Bragg.

1. Any vehicle with a trailer or large truck will have to go through the DLA truck lane and this can take a couple hours, esp on a Monday.
2. The Lot where mine was, was off of Pratt street which is 4 miles down Gruber.
3. Make sure the bring EVERYTHING you think you will need because he will not just give you parts laying around or off another truck. (never needed to ask but it's a point to make)
4. Buy a u-joint puller! I had both front and rear off by myself in 1.5hrs.

On the pictures!

IMG_0947.jpgIMG_0948.jpgIMG_0950.jpgIMG_0951.jpgIMG_0955.jpgIMG_0959.jpg

Last edited:

DanM7890

Here's a couple more. When I got home I put the cover on by myself and that was a workout. But all in all it was an easy pull with the 5-ton and everything went smooth.

IMG_0961.jpgIMG_0967.jpgIMG_0968.jpgIMG_0974.jpg

DanM7890

I am in need of a couple things that I have noticed are missing. Passenger door glass, turret cover, spare tire, light switch, fuse cover, and I'm missing a bunch of fuses. I will have to find a diagram that shows me which ones I need because I have no idea. Here's a picture for reference.

IMG_0966.jpg

Can you elaborate on what sort of "U-joint puller" you used.

Thanks

As I did with the M998 I left early to try and beat Coffey1 to the site so I could start pulling driveshaft's and get it ready to pull. Him and Andy were gracious enough to help me with the pickup by bringing up the 5-ton to pull it back with because it's a non-runner. I took a bunch of pictures when I was out there. Here's a couple tips when picking up at Ft Bragg.

1. Any vehicle with a trailer or large truck will have to go through the DLA truck lane and this can take a couple hours, esp on a Monday.
2. The Lot where mine was, was off of Pratt street which is 4 miles down Gruber.
3. Make sure the bring EVERYTHING you think you will need because he will not just give you parts laying around or off another truck. (never needed to ask but it's a point to make)
4. Buy a u-joint puller! I had both front and rear off by myself in 1.5hrs.

On the pictures!

View attachment 614168View attachment 614169View attachment 614170View attachment 614171View attachment 614172View attachment 614173

DanM7890

I used a OTC 5190A U-joint puller. They're on the expensive side but make the job simple. All I did was remove the 2 bolts per cap, then put on the puller and cranked down and it pushed out the caps. Do it once more to get the drive shaft out. If you want to replace the u joint once the driveshaft is out and on the table you can use the tool again to get out the other two caps.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Without that puller you would have been there a while. The light switch is a standard mil one like pretty much every other truck. Not all the fuse and relay locations are used. You can use regular blade fuses in a pinch.

Overdrive

I used a OTC 5190A U-joint puller. They're on the expensive side but make the job simple. All I did was remove the 2 bolts per cap, then put on the puller and cranked down and it pushed out the caps. Do it once more to get the drive shaft out. If you want to replace the u joint once the driveshaft is out and on the table you can use the tool again to get out the other two caps.
That is awesome to have a verified LMTV u joint pulled with the OTC 5190A. I sent their tech email a pic and asked if the tool could be used on our trucks and they said no because of the "bolt down caps." Hilarious I am moving the tool from wish list to cart. Thanks!!!
OD

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To clarify, any large vehicle, as a visitor, needs to go through KNOX GATE, which is located off of Bragg Blvd. You will be turned around at any other gate. This is not the "DLA Gate", it's the commercial truck gate. If you ask where the DLA Gate is you will get odd looks.

DanM7890

All the signs on Bragg Blvd say DLA Truck entrance. That's the one I'm talking about. I didn't see any sings called Knox Gate.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
WTEC3 on these trucks will have a single digit display and in place of the vim module (hanging down in your truck) will be a trans ecu. So its supposed to be blank. Did the engine start?

DanM7890

WTEC3 on these trucks will have a single digit display and in place of the vim module (hanging down in your truck) will be a trans ecu. So its supposed to be blank. Did the engine start?
I haven't gotten that far yet. I'm going to get some batteries today but am going to do another once over underneath and make sure nothing is disconnected before cranking on her. I did notice when I was under it briefly when taking out the front driveshaft that on the bottom of the exhaust was some fluid (I believe either yellow or green liquid) that I want to look into further.

DanM7890

I'm heading over to Jim Henry's after work to try and get a spare tire, turret cover and the window glass. From looking at the TM, seems the glass is interchangeable from the 1078 to 1081, can anyone confirm that?

DanM7890

So I was wrong about the color, it's actually red. Also in that first picture, it appears to have a plug of some sort missing at the top. When I'm at Jim Henry's place I'm going to verify what's supposed to be there.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks