• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dark Seas M1008 Project

DarkSeas

Hey guys,
Figured I'd post one thread and keep adding onto it now, considering I'm beginning work on my CUCV and I'm coming up with questions from all directions.

This is my journey to get my '86 M1008 up and running, and all the problems I'm facing with it as I find them and fix them.

Please feel free to follow along, give me feedback, and help me along my way!

My name's Jack by the way, welcome to my project.

Attachments

DarkSeas

First and foremost, the truck has been converted to 12V, but John at Hillbilly Wizard hooked me up, and I'm going to be stripping the mess of wiring out of the truck and putting an intact harness back in. She's going back to 24V guys!

I laid it out in the garage and my friends and I went over everything and it looks great! (Thanks John!) They had two small questions about it, and I think I already know the answers:

1. The coiled pink wire in the center, that goes all the way back to the sending unit for the fuel gauge, correct?

2. The orange wire in the center beside the coiled pink wire, it looks like it hooks to the block. I want to wager a guess that it goes to the coolant temperature sensor?

Also, for details' sake. One of the starter bolts snapped off inside the block, and we're going to try to extract with a left handed drill bit/drill it out (hopefully this weekend, my buddy Tom has the best straight eye for drilling out of all of us, so it's on his time)
16530893870771548980739138671059.jpg

DarkSeas

Lookie here! Day 1 and I'm already getting so much done. I've got all 3 belts off, theyre missing teeth and cracked, I'll be replacing them with wide V belts, I heard those were better! Gonna go get them sized and ordered at Advance tomorrow.

Question that came up, my power steering pump bracket is broken. You can flop the pump up and down with your hand, and when I had her running boy did that belt whine/whip around with slack. Not good.

I know this is a common fail point on these trucks, I think I saw somewhere that you can use a civilian K30 power steering pump bracket, and it works the same? If anybody's got some info on those brackets I'd appreciate it.

Honestly the pump is leaking anyway, I might just look into replacing it if it's not just a worn hose/hose clamp issue I think it is right now. If that affects sourcing a bracket. Pretty sure I've seen them being sold separately, though.

Happy Friday everyone.

DarkSeas

Very good intro, best of luck with the starter bolt. Remember the bracket on the non drive side, this supports the weight and prevents broken bolts.
I usually start at 3/16" and have a few cobalt HSS bits for that. Then a sharp 1/4" left hand will grab easily.
Really great info Keith. I've got the brand new 24V starter sitting on the bench right now, I'll be sure to get my hands on a bracket for the front to make sure another bolt doesn't snap (I swear it came to me that way haha).

I'll pass along the drilling info to Tom. It sounds like a really solid technique, and I'm glad you shared it.

Keith_J

Large orange are glow plug outputs, should be spliced to 4 green on each bank and these go to glow plugs. Test with multimeter.

Pink is power to injection pump energized to run solenoid. Should be a tan connector on the end.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lookie here! Day 1 and I'm already getting so much done. I've got all 3 belts off, theyre missing teeth and cracked, I'll be replacing them with wide V belts, I heard those were better! Gonna go get them sized and ordered at Advance tomorrow.

Question that came up, my power steering pump bracket is broken. You can flop the pump up and down with your hand, and when I had her running boy did that belt whine/whip around with slack. Not good.

I know this is a common fail point on these trucks, I think I saw somewhere that you can use a civilian K30 power steering pump bracket, and it works the same? If anybody's got some info on those brackets I'd appreciate it.

Honestly the pump is leaking anyway, I might just look into replacing it if it's not just a worn hose/hose clamp issue I think it is right now. If that affects sourcing a bracket. Pretty sure I've seen them being sold separately, though.

Happy Friday everyone.
Some people on here have had success with welding those brackets. CUCVRUS comes to mind.

DarkSeas

Some people on here have had success with welding those brackets. CUCVRUS comes to mind.

I could take it out and weld the end piece back on... that is a possibility for sure. I just dont know how long of a piece to weld on, not sure how much of it snapped off. Looks like the top part of the swinging part, where you can loosen the nut and swing the pump in and out to adjust the belt/angle of the pump. Not sure if a bolt was at the very end of it or if it was just free.

DarkSeas

Oh, double up on protection for your eyes when drilling starter bolts. I keep a set of magnets to capture the mess at the drill.

Cool LED light from multiple angles helps greatly
That is a good point. The boys I work with frequently engage their safety squints haha. We've got glasses in the garage though. Definitely don't want to catch hot metal shrapnel in the eye

DarkSeas

Large orange are glow plug outputs, should be spliced to 4 green on each bank and these go to glow plugs. Test with multimeter.

Pink is power to injection pump energized to run solenoid. Should be a tan connector on the end.
Are you sure that long orange wire with the block bracket is glow plug related? In the picture it's the one in the center next to the coiled pink wire. The glow plugs already look there, the green wires coming out of the sheaths to each alternator.

Edit: it's thin. A thin orange wire. Bout a foot maybe 1.5ft long. The glow plug wire I think you're talking about is that thick orange loop, yep.

Last edited:

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could take it out and weld the end piece back on... that is a possibility for sure. I just dont know how long of a piece to weld on, not sure how much of it snapped off. Looks like the top part of the swinging part, where you can loosen the nut and swing the pump in and out to adjust the belt/angle of the pump. Not sure if a bolt was at the very end of it or if it was just free.
If I'm following you correctly a think that arm just makes a loop. Maybe someone can send you a template. It would seem like it would just have to be long enough for a full pump extension until it stops. It seems that longer, may not matter.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a good point. The boys I work with frequently engage their safety squints haha. We've got glasses in the garage though. Definitely don't want to catch hot metal shrapnel in the eye
A guy I worked for in construction had an employee who got a very small metal splinter in his eye, and they could not save his eye. Metal in the eye is no joke.

DarkSeas

If I'm following you correctly a think that arm just makes a loop. Maybe someone can send you a template. It would seem like it would just have to be long enough for a full pump extension until it stops. It seems that longer, may not matter.
Yeah I don't think longer would contact anything, it reaches out and up toward the steering arm.

You're following me correctly, it's a loop part, the top end of it is broken off. Bolt would come out of the pump, through the bracket loop, and a nut would tighten it to the bracket from the front. Might check out the TMs when I get home see what the full bracket looks like, I don't think it has a bolt at the end either.

I honestly might be able to hook a bolt and nut through the broken part, it might have enough clearance to hold the pump still at the right angle, but it also might be weak and just break again farther down the loop.

Keith_J

There are two large orange and one thin orange wires, all three go to the glow plug solenoid output. One fat wire for each bank of 4 and the thin wire goes to the glow plug controller under the dash.

I can post pictures if needed.

DarkSeas

There are two large orange and one thin orange wires, all three go to the glow plug solenoid output. One fat wire for each bank of 4 and the thin wire goes to the glow plug controller under the dash.

I can post pictures if needed.
That would actually help a lot man, thanks. I know the guy has some aftermarket button left of the steering wheel to activate the glow plugs. That might be why that thin orange wire isn't making sense to us right now.

I'll take a look when I get back over there tomorrow and see if I can find anything going up into the dash like you say. The anchoring bracket on it made me thing it was held to the block, maybe it holds it to the firewall?

DIVE DIVE

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If this is the wire that you are talking about, it’s the transmission downshift solenoid wire. It will have end to end continuity with the orange wire on the connector at the pedal.

My picture is missing the brackets but I’m pretty sure this is the wire you are asking about.

Attachments

DIVE DIVE

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Happy Friday everyone.
Which bracket is broken so we can better help?
I would start soaking that pulley with some WD-40 or penetrating fluid now.

Attachments

DarkSeas

Which bracket is broken so we can better help?
I would start soaking that pulley with some WD-40 or penetrating fluid now.
Thanks Dive Dive,
The part of the bracket that's broken, looking at your picture, would be the left wing. It's probably broken off 1-2" from the very end.

I'm going to pull the pump out, it doesn't look like it's in very good shape to begin with, it looks like it's been leaking everywhere, but it might just be worn hose clamps.

I'm gonna put in a used pump with an in tact bracket from John (I needed to pick up a gear reduction starter bracket anyway). I will attempt to clean up and repair my pump and bracket in case anyone on SS needs one someday.

DarkSeas

Good afternoon everyone,
Hope y'all are having a good Memorial Day weekend. Definitely going to take some time today to sit and reflect on our veterans while I wrench on the old '86.

1) Yesterday I started labeling the new engine wiring harness, I got a majority of it done. I could not figure out what these 2 go to (431 .jpg attachment). The pink long coiled wire looks like it's the fuel shutoff? I traced it down the frame to the fuel tank. The shorter tan plug wire... that I think goes to the back of the block. My gut is telling me oil pressure? (I have a GMC with a sending unit in a similar location).

2) the 447 and 504 .jpg - I see where this pink/red connector plugs in. What is that called? I couldn't find it in the diagram but I could find it in the truck. It's on the front of the motor toward the top where the oil filler neck is.

3) 841 .jpg - what is that green connecter? Driver side, front of the motor, it's not a glowplug. I think it might be coolant temperature?

4) 905 .jpg Look at this mess going to the glow plug relay. Good grief. Under the dash is about 10x worse, I'm glad I picked up a dash harness too. He redneck engineered a glow plug button into the truck. I will be looking under the dash and seeing if that's where those wires go to. I could find on the glow plug wiring diagram the pink/black, blue, and orange wires are original. There's a stripped black wire and stripped... I don't even know wire. I haven't found where they go yet but I have found them go to the glow plug relay then go into the firewall. They might be black and yellow going to a temperature sensor somewhere? I'll be looking more into that situation today. The glow plugs work though, no clue how.

Have a good weekend y'all.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks