• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dark when its Dark

SierraHotel

OK, got another one for the Deuce mechanics out there, especially the electricians.
My right light has been intermittent on low beam. Sometimes it worked, other times it was AWOL. No biggie, still had one…needed a new light or needed to redo the connection because it was loose.
However, going out to feed my Deuce the other evening I discovered (as it was getting dark of course) that neither low beam works now. Additionally, both of my amber lights are AWOL…the blackouts work, and here’s the weird part, the high beams work, both of them.
Any ideas or do I simply need two new lights and new bulbs for the ambers?
Are these related to one another or are they just a massive coincidence of problems?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also something to consider is what your idle is set at. If its idling too low the vibration destroys headlights.

littlebob

Before I started taking mine apart I tried to get everything working to see what I wasen't working and had to take the right turn signal off and a sand it where it met the fender to get a good ground. In my experience with vehicles and trailers, most of the time it was a ground problem. If I remember correctly when I took mine apart there was a ground wire for the headlights that attached to the frame.
littlebob

SierraHotel

I do understand the that ambers do not come one with the headlights…but you’re probably not to far off with that point and me. The ambers do not work on the first stop and the lights do not work on the second.
As for the idle…what is it supposed to be at to prevent killing the lights?
And as for grounds, if that were the case, why do the brights work, but not the low beams. But yes, I will check all the grounds after I get the transmission taken care of and the front axles redone…

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, the ambers won't come on at the first stop either. The only position they will work is in the second position (Service Drive) and with the lower left lever in the Park position. Other than that, you won't be seeing them. Idle recommneded for turbosharged trucks is 800. The headlights are most likely bad. There are 3 wires going to them. Hight beam, low beam and ground. IIRC #91 is ground. Headlight problems are almost always bulbs. The front composites suffer from ground issues. Both mounting bolts need a claen ground as one bolt grounds the blackouts and the other grounds the park/turn bulbs. Confirm your bulbs work with a simple continuity tester.It's good maintenance to open up the composites every so often as they sometimes get condensation in them and they self destruct. If they are the metal ones, be gentile and work the screws in and out with care, they do break. When they go back in anti sieze them for sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks