• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dash mounted flasher light

GoHot229

Have any of you members found a good looking and functioning light to use in conjunction with the flasher, mounted on a more "in your face" location so's that you dont just blither along with your flashers'a blinking for the last fiew blocks or miles? I have often enough made my turn and in low-stress, or should I say 'busy' conditions, down shifting or up shifting, manhandeling the steering wheel, checking the mirrors, looking over my sholder etc. and left my flasher just blazing away untill I happen to look down and notice it and feel like a big DUHHH....... I was thinking of mabe on the fold-down window frame about mid-heigth. I'v turned my turn signal unit (twisted) it clockwise on the column to have it more visable with the light at 12 o'clock position, but still its not sufficient sometimes to catch with my pariferal vison, thus the blink, blink, blinking along down the Highway. I really don't want to give the impression that MV's are just used by less than sharp operators. 'spose I could fall into that term now and again.

DieselBob

I have been thinking about the same issues. With the small bulb in the turn signal switch, bright daytime light and paying attention to everything else it's easy to forget to cancel the signal. I am thinking about trying one of these.

Auto Meter Pro-Lite Pressure Loss Warning Light - JEGS

I had 2 of them in a pickup years ago, for oil pressure and temp, and they are very bright. With a little paint the metal body should look right at home in the deuce and it would be hard to miss that blinking.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Bjorn's buzzer idea is pretty much perfect.

Jones

The plastic instrument light covers came in different colors for other than vehicle apps.
I've seen them at Saturn Surplus in green, amber, blue and clear.
The earlier lights were a colored plastic cover with a metal cap crimped over it. When that cover was used as a high beam indicator, the little "bump" in the center of the metal cap was ground off to give a small dot of light.

Of course if all this fails, you could use a Model T spark coil wired into the turn signal circuit with the high tension lead attached to the driver's seat springs. I bet that would be even harder to ignore than the low air buzzer.

m109guy

The buzzer idea is good, unless you are stuck waiting to turn at a light for a long time. Then I would think the buzzer would get really annoying really fast.

Jones

There are small solid state (piezo-electric) buzzers out there. Mallory Sonalert for one.
You have a large choice of sounds and sound levels.
One with a low tone that wouldn't be masked by the turbo whistle is what I'd shoot for.
They aren't as loud or annoying as a low air buzzer so you could probably tolerate one for a longer period of time.

Simplest install would be to just wire it into the same lead as the indicator light.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The buzzer idea is good, unless you are stuck waiting to turn at a light for a long time. Then I would think the buzzer would get really annoying really fast.
The sound is just right IMHO, used the flashers for hours on end during my cross country trip. With ear plugs and the engine roaring on long upgrades, the sound is at the right db level. In traffic, without ear plugs, it's good too, a sound fit for a deuce. If people outside can't see your signals, they can hear you. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks