• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DC charging system stator overproducing

storeman

Can anyone tell me the effects of a stator that outputs 42 volts versus the 30-35 volts the TM calls for? Will it burn up the DCVR?

Stator tests at 0.6 Ohms as it should.

I should add that the system is not charging and replacing the DCVR had no effect. Am trying to figure out what to do next and am also unclear as to function/impact and testing procedure for capacitor below the DCVR.

Jerry :???:

Last edited:

Triple Jim

Jerry, I wouldn't be overly concerned about 42VAC. Since it's not actually charging the battery, the output may be open circuited and running a little higher than when it's operating properly. 42 is only 20% higher than 35, and in the electrical world, 20% isn't usually anything to be alarmed about.

1800 Diesel

Thanks Jim. I wasn't looking forward to pulling another fan.
Jerry:D
Oh yeah, been there, done that....no fun! :)

As for the higher voltage on AC side, I believe the one I was working on a few months back also had higher-than-spec voltage, but I think the reading was taken before I repaired the broken wire to the capacitor. I would have to go back & read the post to confirm....

Jimc

i assume your not talking about the red one but the silver one? i really think the silver one is just a noise suppressor of some sort. i have tried these generators with and without and have seen no difference BUT i do change them out anyway since the non mil ones are only a few bucks from newark

1800 Diesel

i assume your not talking about the red one but the silver one? i really think the silver one is just a noise suppressor of some sort. i have tried these generators with and without and have seen no difference BUT i do change them out anyway since the non mil ones are only a few bucks from newark
On the one I had trouble with, IIRC it was a yellow-colored "condenser-looking" or capacitor component.

storeman

Yah, Triplejim, where are you?

Wowee! Just noticed I got promoted. Patracy, I assume my pay raise check is in the mail, right?

Jerry :beer::beer::patracy::patracy:

Last edited:

dangier

I'm down to robbing an operational unit to fix my lead one.......:-( In searching by NSN, there are several companies listed as producing the dcvr's (Southern Automotive, Flight Source, and Chrisbarry Aircraft). When I get a few spare moments, I will call them and check it out.
David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks