• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

De Splining drive flanges

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know the best and easiest way to de spline the front drive flanges? I was just gonna use a die grinder and a carbide burr.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Will, do have any buddies at a machine shop? If not, I do and they could use their things to bore 'em out. I think the die grinder would take a little too much time. I have an extra set of front flanges in case you want to still have 6 wheel drive capabilities.

Jones

They should be machined out and a bushing put in to carry the ends of the axles so that the splines aren't damaged by running steel against steel. Also, when they're bored out to accept a bushing, the walls of the splined boss inside the drive flange get thin enough to need to be reinforced with an outside collar or sleeve.
This way you can carry a second set of "live" drive flanges and when necessary they can be swapped out for the "idler" flanges to return to all-wheel drive capabilities.

rdixiemiller

They can be cut out far enough to clear the front axle splines without bushing them. I have desplined several sets, and have been running a pair for almost 3000 miles. I chuck them in the lathe and use an indexable boring bar with a C7 carbide insert. Some flanges have hardened splines, some don't. Send them to me and I'll cut them for you. Cost will be shipping both ways.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a lathe at work, maybe i'll see if I can chuch them up here 1st.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will,

I'd be happy to machine those for ya. Just get them to me along with the dimension you want it bored out to.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks