• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Demand for power in the field

m32825

Ran across an article today that discussed the growing power needs of troops in the field. According to the article, here's how the power needs of a fielded Army platoon have changed over the years:

1991 1.74 kW/hr
2001 2.07 kW/hr
2017 31.35 kW/hr

I wonder how that growing power has changed the fielded equipment? Are they using more of the same generators or switching to bigger ones?

-- Carl

Guyfang

Staff member
The biggest notable way is the gen set itself. The new AMMPS gen sets, can be paralleled. All of them. To each other. Doesn't have to be like sized sets, like before. The new systems, and it doesn't matter what it is, are power eaters. EVERYTHING needs power now days. Also, the Military tends to be power pigs. If a 5 KW gen set will do the job, let's have a 10 KW!! IF not a 15 KW!!

NormB

I can recall one mission with the AVN BDE where the heavy lift guys (Chinooks) brought in generators, washers, dryers, microwave ovens, a 4 foot TV and cots and refrigerators and more.

Most comfortable field problem ever.

Until "the general" (a 2-star, Division chief) came by and, channeling the spirit of old blood and guts hisself read the unit commander (a lowly full-bird) the proverbial riot act and all that equipment got packed up and moved back to base the next day. Ground pads (this was 1992, not '72, no "rubber b**ches" that trip), woobies and ponchos and aches and pains and misery for a couple weeks. The "real" army.

Didn't stop it from happening next time, but there was a new CMDR by then.

Guyfang

Staff member
In the early 70's, I was in a Hawk ADA line Battery. When we went to the field, the only tent that went up, was the Mess fly, for the cooks. We moved about every 4-6 hours, and no one wanted to fool with tents. Rain or shine. Not that the sun shines much here. The only gen set that ran in the company was for lights in the mess fly. A 1.5 KW buzzing alongside the mess fly, driving everyone crazy. That was the only non missile system gen set in the unit. Twenty years later, in Patriot ADA, I could have run a small city, with all the extra gen sets.

rustystud

I can recall one mission with the AVN BDE where the heavy lift guys (Chinooks) brought in generators, washers, dryers, microwave ovens, a 4 foot TV and cots and refrigerators and more.

Most comfortable field problem ever.

Until "the general" (a 2-star, Division chief) came by and, channeling the spirit of old blood and guts hisself read the unit commander (a lowly full-bird) the proverbial riot act and all that equipment got packed up and moved back to base the next day. Ground pads (this was 1992, not '72, no "rubber b**ches" that trip), woobies and ponchos and aches and pains and misery for a couple weeks. The "real" army.

Didn't stop it from happening next time, but there was a new CMDR by then.
You should have tried it in the Marines. We didn't even have a field mess. K-rats and C-rats. Oh-Ra !!! I think they thought if they gave us any "luxuries" we would become "weak". Going for weeks without even a "sponge" bath is not what I call fun. When you start to gag when you smell yourself that is bad ! I just wanted to go back to the barracks !

quickfarms

There is a ranking of power requirements by branch of service.

The marines are the most energy conservative

The army is in the middle

The Air Force is at the top.

The navy prefers to stay on there ship because is it hard to make a portable nuclear reactor

rustystud

The navy prefers to stay on there ship because is it hard to make a portable nuclear reactor
I like how you mention the Navy staying on their ships due to the fact it is hard to make a portable nuclear reactor ! That gave me a good laugh !

Another Ahab

The navy prefers to stay on there ship because it is hard to make a portable nuclear reactor
I belive I read somewhere that the portable nuke isn't so hard to make. The after-effect is the problem.

After building one everybody glows so much that the unit efficiency plummets due to sleep deprivation.

I'll look up the data.

abc.jpg

Last edited:

rustystud

I belive I read somewhere that the portable nuke isn't so hard to make. The after-effect is the problem.

After building one everybody glows so much that the unit efficiency plummets due to sleep deprivation.

I'll look up the data.

View attachment 687713

I think I saw that guy on a ship once !!!
Hey just a heads up. I'll be getting the boot off this site soon due to my "bad" post which Doghead did not like. So I would just like to say your a great bunch of guys here and I'll miss you all.
Take care, rustystud.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Petitioning will not change anything. He chooses his own fate. I have not banned him(yet).

In true Rustystud fashion, I post the facts as documented. I'll leave out my credentials,diplomas, degrees, and length of time employed, nor will I question others experience...

Read his infraction history for the facts. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/member.php?32597-rustystud

Back to the original thread now.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks