• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce 12 volt system

rivired

so im looking to have a reliable 12 volt source in my deuce.
to run lightbar, lots of lights 12 volt mechanical siren stereo radios, ect.

i dont think a converter or equalizer will be able to handle the draw of the siren witch feels like turning on a winch. about 80 amps id say..and plus i cant afford one either.

is there a reasonable priced solution to this.....i just wanna do a ONE WIRE ALTERNATOR set up

IS THERE ANYBODY WHO SELLS A bolt on ALTERNATOR BRACKET FOR THE DEUCE??!?!...to install a regular old 12 v alternator.
my fab skills are limited.

But id settle for a pattern to fab one if sombody has one.. and just get it done.

Thanks for any info..

Flea

Someone on here did a really simple install of a single-wire GM alternator with a piece of angle-iron and a flip of the existing generator arm. I'm looking into doing the same. Might want to search for 12 volt a little and see what comes up.

rivired

ya ive searched so much tonight im about out of it...
the guy who did the diablo build is the only person i can find thats done this and his pics dont show the bracket deatils..ima contact him i gues..

rivired

i went to that link u posted for there "12 volt ad on kit"..

it sez it comes with the dual v pulley...but it doesnt state that it comes with the mounting bracket..i would hope it does cuz itd be quite useless of a "KIT" without..

bottleworks

i dont think a converter or equalizer will be able to handle the draw of the siren witch feels like turning on a winch. about 80 amps id say..and plus i cant afford one either.

A good equalizer will do 100 Amps continuous. But, your right about cost if your buying new. However, junkyards don't know what they are...So they don't know that they should be charging a lot. :wink:

yeager1

What about getting a 12v starter (info and part number from someone on diablo thread) and some 12v bulbs and making the whole thing 12v? It would probably be the same cost (no third battery or battery cables needed) and no more concerns about expensive 24v bulbs, custom trainler lights etc. Just get an alternator and starter, and some much cheaper 12v bulbs and your done for good. Would make any mods and maintenance much easier and cheaper. I'm thinking about doing it myself, as I see no real advantage to the 24v stuff.

steelandcanvas

What about getting a 12v starter (info and part number from someone on diablo thread) and some 12v bulbs and making the whole thing 12v? It would probably be the same cost (no third battery or battery cables needed) and no more concerns about expensive 24v bulbs, custom trainler lights etc. Just get an alternator and starter, and some much cheaper 12v bulbs and your done for good. Would make any mods and maintenance much easier and cheaper. I'm thinking about doing it myself, as I see no real advantage to the 24v stuff.
Except for the fact you draw half the current at 24 volts than you would at 12 volts. Wire size could be a concern. You'd still need a flasher, a new voltage gauge, a new horn solenoid, and your cold weather start coil is 24 volt also. Sounds more of a PITA than it's worth. I'ts not just an alternator, starter, and some lamps.

Last edited:

yeager1

Didn't think of the voltage gauge. the 12v flashers and solenoids are fairly cheap, as most 12v stuff is. It is a pita, but probably not worst then building/mounting a alternator, a separate battery mount, buying an extra battery and running new wiring for the extra battery. 24v is good for originality, but 12v is more practical if you want numerous high draw mods. Cost is probably about the same

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks