• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Air Governor

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greetings!

I was thinking of replacing my air governor based on some clicking I've heard in the cab of the Deuce (the air system is building pressure to about 90 PSI). I think mine is either 1970's vintage or was replaced with a non-standard unit, because it doesn't look like the ones I've seen in person or in TM 9-2320-361-20. Also my inboard air tank is filling with little to no air so I was hoping it was related to this unit.

What do you guys think of the governor in the pic? Swap with a new unit?

Thank you
Air Governor.jpgAir Governor.jpg

TheQuaker

Computerdoc
That style of air governor dates back to at least the 50's, maybe earlier...probably OE to the truck. I've only seen that style on a couple of old farm trucks that we still had kicking around.
I would not make another move in your Deuce until you replace that with a new, modern D-2 style air governor. That governor has definitely seen better days. Then you can confidently troubleshoot the rest of your air issues without worrying about the governor being part of the problem.
It sounds like yours is already suspect and even if it turns out not to be the cause of your low pressure issue it is truly a disaster waiting to happen and should be replaced. You do not want to entrust your life or the lives of other motorists to an ancient air governor that could fail at any moment and leave you without the ability to stop effectively. Same goes for any other brake system component.
Replacing your failing governor with a new one will only set you back about $13 on ebay or $20 at your favorite parts store An extremely cheap insurance policy to help avoid a catastrophe.
Direct, easy swap/install.
1603675735782.png

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will pickup a new Bendix unit from Napa tomorrow H284358. Are there any other fittings or mounts I would need to replace something that old?

TheQuaker

The new style governor uses two mounting bolts through the lower body section of the governor and into the firewall. The one you have on your Deuce mounts to the firewall with small "ears" at about 1 and 7 o'clock if I remember correctly. You probably don't have the correct mounting holes in your firewall for the D2 style beneath your current unit so you will probably have to drill those and source your own mounting bolts, washers and nuts.

You should get with your new governor enough plugs you need to close off the un-used ports. You only need the same two connections you already have for the new governor: the "T' connector and the unloader line to the compressor.

You may or may not already have the correct fittings to connect the old lines to the new governor. I cannot remember what the port size is on that old style governor. The ports on the new D2's are 1/8" NPT. I can't tell from your picture if your current lines will work or not. All kinds of motorpool or shade tree engineering may have occurred prior to your purchase so you will only know for sure once you disassemble everything and see what you have. Chances are the unloader line has a 1/8" and the tee/elbow assembly should be reducing to 1/8".

If you do not have the correct fitting sizes on your lines already, your local hardware store will have the correct brass fittings and ferrules to finish your install.

The biggest problem you are likely to encounter is that your current hard lines may not be the correct length or correctly oriented to allow them to be used as-is. You will need to see how it all lines up based on the governor mounting installation. You may end up needing to run new lines to connect everything up.

What year is your Deuce?

TheQuaker

If it is a 1970 then for sure you have an old governor someone threw on it. In that case, you may be in luck and the correct mounting holes will already be there, just hiding underneath the old unit.

My '52 Deuce had the old Midland governor when I purchased it (below) and I have since swapped to a new D2. The new unit mounted using the same mounting location and hardware you can see here:

IMG_6153.JPG

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You said your other tank did not have much air pressure. It has been a long time and my memory is not what it was. There is a one way check valve between the two tanks. When you get you governor fixed and can get your air pressure up to 110/ 120 check both tanks. The check valve was there to protect the tank that the air pack runs off of. If I remember the wet tank was the out side one and air pack inside one. So to see if your check valve is working and the air pack tank is holding pressure like it should you can check by draining all the air out of the wet tank and the air pack tank should still have full pressure.

Last edited:

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to replace the adapters and will need the newer style longer bolts when installing the new governor; does anyone know what size part 3, 5, 7 and 9 are as noted from this TM excerpt?
TM9-2320-361-20.jpg

Last edited:

TheQuaker

The mounting bolts should be 3/8" x 2".

For the connecting tee you are joining two airlines and reducing down to a 1/8" NPT to connect to the governor. Assuming the lines are the correct 3/8" size the begin with, buy the tee and then buy the adapter to reduce from your tee to 1/8" NPT to connect to the governor.

Again, assuming your unloader line is 1/4" you need an adapter to go from 1/4 line to 1/8" NPT.

But...All of this is based on what "should be" on your Deuce and what I can see from the pictures. No guarantee. Given the fact someone went to the trouble to install that old governor instead of putting in a direct bolt-in replacement could mean not everything is to OE spec and you could have non-standard airline sizes, fittings, etc. and what "should" fit your Deuce may not.

My advice: Disassemble all the old fittings from the lines and take them with you to the store along with your new governor and make sure you get direct replacements for the bolts and fittings and everything connects up to the governor correctly. That way you get what you need in one trip to the hardware or auto parts store.

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just checked behind the old governor, the original mounting holes are there. I also measured the lines and they seem to be original spec sizes. (ill still bring the old fittings to the hardware store...just in case)

Does anyone know the thread pitch for the 3/8 x 2 mounting bolts?

Thanks for the help / feedback!

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have a good resource for purchasing the brass fittings online? I stopped by 2 auto parts stores, Home Depot and Rural King today and none of them have the fittings in-stock.

TheQuaker

Try an ACE hardware or a local hardware store. Almost all of them will carry a far better selection of fittings than a big-box store and they will have better prices. Some NAPA stores carry a decent selection of airline fittings in-store. Grainger and other industrial supply houses will have them as well, just maybe not in stock.

Ebay and Amazon are always options to buy on-line if needed, especially for bulk purchases.

The line fittings on the old governor were not 1/8" NPT?

MrMikey4026

Replace those copper lines with DOT plastic tubing and fittings.
Unless you really enjoy the old copper tubing.
Back in the old days when every truck was plumbed with copper, you cannot imagine how much I hated it.

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the info!

Can I slightly bend that old copper to reach where it should on the new governor? Or should I replace, I would like to keep the originality of the copper system.

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed the new air governor... ended up using DOT nylon tubing from the firewall to the tee (that short foot long piece of copper was hard as a diamond as too hard to try to bend straight)
I think the guys at the parts store may have sold me the wrong connector because after a few turns of tightening the nut, it seems like it skips a thread and loosens up. He said I didn't need an insert either, but i'm pretty sure I do. Seems a lot of guys in this forum use the inserts, are they required to make a proper seal? These connections are from the firewall elbow to the drivers side of the tee off the governor.

Edited to add the connection part links:

After doing more research, I think I may have been sold a ferrule for copper pipe and not DOT nylon, the brass nylon ferrule looks different in pictures.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks