• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce batteries or starter

OK guys when it rains it pours sometimes.I got everything back together went to start the truck I got a clunk. I charged the batteries took them to the parts store they tested them and said they were good.I cleaned the terminals and grounds still clunk.I am not sure if it's stuck or the solenoid is bad.Or something else it was fine when I put in the garage so I could work on it a few months back.The batteries are the 6TLs.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, what have you done lately?

What did you get back together?

I ve got videos uploading for my transmission rebuild uploading as we speak I'll get the links up as they upload to those threads.I have also done all the brakes axles seals new boots tubbed my fenders flipped rear hubs.I ll have those videos up soon.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does your motor rotate by hand?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does your clutch feel right?

Roaddog58

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try taking jumper cable from positive to starter, with truck in neutral and wheel chocks in place. or take a hammer and tap side of starter?

JDToumanian

Since the batteries are good, it could be dirty or pitted contacts in the solenoid. I've had it happen, I just pushed the start button a bunch of times and it suddenly made contact and started. If the clunk is the pinion gear engaging the flywheel but the starter is unable to crank the engine, I'd definitely try barring it over - with the stop cable pulled out so the engine doesn't start from you turning it with a wrench.

Jon

OK took the starter loose thought maybe it was hung up it did spin but not engage when jumped and when I took it loose then retighten after wiggling no go.So it clicks but doesn't engage starter but starter does spin when jumped.

texas30cal

Take the starter and solenoid to your local alternator/starter repair shop, they will prob test for free and are usually pretty reasonable on repairs.

JDToumanian

I agree about a repair shop, but I've opened up solenoids and refinished the contacts with files and fine sandpaper... That's probably all that's gone bad in there, especially since you were hearing it move but it wasn't turning the motor on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks