• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Battries

Loose Deuce

anyone come across a cheap sorce for NEW Military or same size aftermarket Battries ? I been thinking about getting two Wal-Mart high cranking amp Battries and fit them in somehow.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Two high CCA batteries will work for a deuce......should be a matched pair and have top posts.

The battery hold downs are made for the TL's but you can cross brace the batteries with 2x4's and they will not move around.

I had a good source for blems but it has dried up.

Akicita

I have used a pair of regular 12V car batteries for a year now without any problems. That includes cold starts during the cold winter months. I like the idea of using car batteries because I can get them at just about any automotive store out there and I won't have to special order them and wait while I'm broken down on the road somewhere.

Interstate Batteries makes a TL-6 that are almost similar to the original batteries.They look like the originals. I have them and they are great. I believe they are still available. CCA are 1,000. A couple of years ago they were around $85.00 a piece.

Last edited:
I use the same cheap, standard automotive 12v 70Ah batteries for 4 years now without problems. Because there are times when the deuce sits for longer periods, I also recharge them regularly, expecially over the cold period.
I have the hypothesis that batteries with a high capacity are not necessarily the best solution, expecially when one drives only short distances and the deuce sits for longer time. High capacity batteries take longer to recharge and might drain eventually if you don't recharge them with an additional batter charger.

Because these batteries are smaller than the originals, I made a wooden insert for the battery tray. Works nice, and the leftover space is also welcomed :)

Cheers,
Mark

Last edited:

Jimma

Walmart sells some that are about 900 or 950 cca and I believe they were around $79-80 give or take a little. Thats not a bad price. Mine currently has red tops in it. If I need to replace them those ones from walmart look attractive because of the high CCA and the price.

KRaiskio

I pulled out the stock battery box after needing to replace both batt and welded in my own trya and made my own hold down that used the stock cables. There is also room for another batt if I decide in the future to add a 12v side.

Attachments

hdexpert

yep

If you have a Interstate battery dealer near you, get the group 31 econo battery's, about 38.00 each, they work great.
When you buy these batteries they have two types. One has posts and the other is threaded. Get the threaded type, they allow you to get rid of the big battery terminals on the end of the wires. Makes it a lot easier to remove the cables.

RealCavDog

There has been a long standing debate in the heavy truck arena, concerning the subject of life span VS cold cranking amps (cca).

When I was building high compression, high performance street rods and mud runners, those beasts needed the high cranking amps to turn them over the way they needed to fire, especially the hard-core guys that just had to have a magneto ignition !

On the down side was that it seemed as if they did not do as well when left sitting for long periods of time, now, was that because of the nature of the charging systems, the fact that they were not used on a regular basis, I can't say with certainty !

I do know for certain that when several of my friends that own 379 Peterbilts,W900 Kenworths, and all pulling reefers, have tried the ultra high output threaded top batteries, ( because, come on ! Show trucks don't pinch pennies ! ), they did not seem to have the life span that the mid-range batteries had !

Don't get me wrong, the manufacturers stood behind the warranty, but lets be realistic, who needs the hassle, and it always seems to happen at the worst possible times !

I do agree with readily available, compatible automotive type batteries, unless your doing a period accurate restoration, and I do prefer the threaded tops, which may be tough to find at Wally World, but are the preferred standard at all truck shops, truck stops, and seem to be thick with cosmetic blem sales ! This time last year I was selling them at $66.00, 825 cca, and two year free replacement,with a total 4 year pro-rate !

ryker725

I called a buddy of mine who owns an auto repair shop and he called all of his battery distributors looking for comparable replacements when my batteries when dead last month. He found a guy with the identical square military batteries, so I just ordered a pair of them because I didn't want to modify the battery compartment. A bit hefty though.. $150 each..

197thhhc

We use 24 series batteries in our deuces and have never had a problem. We fit three in our battery box to run a 12 volt system for our electric winch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks