• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce brake help

Skindig

Hey guys I’ve done some searching on here but haven’t found any that match my problem. The problem I’m having is that my brakes are locking up but only once air pressure is built up to about 80+. If I bleed the air and then apply the brakes while pressure is building the brakes work as they should. Once the pressure gets around 80 or above and I touch the brakes, they lock up and the pedal no longer has any travel. Bleed the air and you can hear the brakes unlocking. What I’ve read so far is suggesting air pack or master cylinder. Thoughts?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey guys I’ve done some searching on here but haven’t found any that match my problem. The problem I’m having is that my brakes are locking up but only once air pressure is built up to about 80+. If I bleed the air and then apply the brakes while pressure is building the brakes work as they should. Once the pressure gets around 80 or above and I touch the brakes, they lock up and the pedal no longer has any travel. Bleed the air and you can hear the brakes unlocking. What I’ve read so far is suggesting air pack or master cylinder. Thoughts?
Snap a few pictures of the brake booster and post them to confirm what you have...
Has the truck been sitting for a while?
Is this truck a Recent purchase?

Skindig

Snap a few pictures of the brake booster and post them to confirm what you have...
Has the truck been sitting for a while?
Is this truck a Recent purchase?
I’ve owned it for 8 years now. I don’t drive to very much…maybe 50-100 miles a year. I had it out this spring a handful of times and it was fine. Went to get it out about a month later and had the brake problem.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I’ve owned it for 8 years now. I don’t drive to very much…maybe 50-100 miles a year. I had it out this spring a handful of times and it was fine. Went to get it out about a month later and had the brake problem.
It could be that sitting let it somehow collect water in the plunger in the brake booster, so maybe the rubber o-rings got tired. Maybe some of the other guys will chime in with better answers - but it may well need a replacement airpack.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve got an A2 with short style airpack

Might as well rebuild the master cylinder while you're at, and not have to worry about either for awhile.

...but it may well need a replacement airpack.
It's cheaper and better to rebuild the existing one. (If rebuildable) A NOS one that's been setting on a shelf for 30 years can have issues too.

Setting around isn't good for any vehicle. (or person for that matter) It's best to get it out and drive it as often as you can. And it's fun too!

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Might as well rebuild the master cylinder while you're at, and not have to worry about either for awhile.

It's cheaper and better to rebuild the existing one. (If rebuildable) A NOS one that's been setting on a shelf for 30 years can have issues too.

Setting around isn't good for any vehicle. (or person for that matter) It's best to get it out and drive it as often as you can. And it's fun too!
This is a well written and detailed response. I agree that it sounds like your air pack could use some attention. I rebuilt mine for the opposite reason, mine would build up to 60 psi and then dump through the vent line. If the inside of yours is free of scoring and rust issues (can be rebuilt) it's a fairly easy job. I followed silverstate55's thread and it was very detailed and helpful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks