• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce...LOST my BRAKES newb warning.

GoHot229

Well it was time to take the trash bags to the dump sub-station. I was just about there and the low-air warning buzzer went off. Instant puzzelment....... so I try the brakes and holy moley, it would take a Gorrilla to mash them enough to stop this beast. Luckily this road is little frequented so there was no trafic coming or going, so...... I find a place on the sholder where it was wide enough to pull over. Leaving the motor running, I got out and did a walk-around to see if I could hear air escaping, mabe the glad-hands, mabe a line.... nothing, so I opened the side hood on the compressor side to see if I lost a line or belt.....nope. So I open the hood to have a look for the obvious. Upon getting the hood open, I climbed up on the bumper then to the passenger side fender and looked. It was only a moment before I discovered that the black nylon/vynyl hose had slipped the ferule and blown out of the junction that is brass and bolted to the firewall. So I get out the small cresent wrench and loosen the fitting off. Well I notice while loosening that it wasn't any too tight to begin with, must not have been putting 'squish' on the ferule. So I get the fitting off, slide it back on the hose then the ferule and push it in untill the hose bottoms in the junction box female oriface so that the ferule would be placed the right distance on the line, and then proceed to tighten it all back up. I tightened to where I thought correct, not loosly as it had been, and started the motor back up. It built pressure quickly and Walaaaaa..... brakes.....no air leaks. Fortunatly this happened as I say, on a little traveled road to the dump, so stopping wasn't in emergency mode (pucker-power) If your Deuce has what appears a NEW hose anywhere, I'd check the tightness, just in case, heak I think a good line check of everything would be a good idea when you get a (new to you ) unit. Allso, now might be a good time to framilliarize yourself with the capabillities of the stopping distance your E-brake is capable of stopping you from any kind of speed to stoped. I have heard it's not the best..... Now, back to driving.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the line have the "insert" in it?

Last edited:

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I repaired a line on a friend's truck from the compressor to the line on the frame. They had a problem with the original line, went to NAPA, who gave them a nylon or whatever polymer line it is to replace the copper line. The air temperature out of the compressor is too high for that material! It blew the line, resulting in them running across a T-road into the field on the other side. The conclusion I drew from this is to never use polymer line from the compressor head to the fitting on the frame.
As Doghead mentioned, there is an flanged steel insert that is to be pushed into the end of the polymer line before the nut and ring are put on. This insert takes the load of the compressing ring as the nut is tightened, making a tight seal. If it is not in there, you might blow it again.
Regards Marti

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stopping diistance of the PARKING BRAKE should be measured football fields or miles. Once locked they do a pretty good job of keeping the truck from mooving but they do a horrible job of stopping the truck from a roll. I speak from experience on this subject.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stopping diistance of the PARKING BRAKE should be measured football fields or miles. Once locked they do a pretty good job of keeping the truck from mooving but they do a horrible job of stopping the truck from a roll. I speak from experience on this subject.
I could not determine whether the parking brake was actually working when I applied it at approx 30 km/h (18 mph) to test if it would be of any use in an emergency. However, it does hold the stopped truck very well.

tiger422

Anyone ever think about putting a E-brake on rear pinion? I have been thinking of doing this with a disc brake like the monster trucks and mud bogger guys use with a hand lever in the cab for it.
Jim

Josh

I lost my air on the freeway once. The govener to the air-o-matic had came loose and was blowing at about 40psi. Lucky I am a large guy. I was towing a 8000lb trailer also. It slowed down just like i had air but it took alot more presure. Im not entirly sure someone who was smaller then me could have got the truck slowed down in time to hit the offramp.

tm america

thats funny that it has a plastic line mine are all copper on my truck.:roll:i would change those back to copper i have never liked nylon lines since they crack easily in cold weather

Farmun

Anyone ever think about putting a E-brake on rear pinion? I have been thinking of doing this with a disc brake like the monster trucks and mud bogger guys use with a hand lever in the cab for it.
Jim
To me, this seems to be a good way to have the second "circuit" on the M35's braking system. Why not put these on both the front and rear pinions? As you said, the calipers and rotors are out there already.

Never thought about having handbrakes on the Deuce though. We need some some clicker things in the spokes also. :-D

LanceRobson

How much free travel does the brake pedal have and how far does it travel after feeling resistance? If the brakes are properly adjusted it should still stop fairly easily. If there is more than just a little travel after the free travel is gone one or more brakes likely need adjustment.

Lance

GoHot229

Oh, I had brakes of sorts, it would have been a double foot stand on'em and pull against the steering wheel, butt securely stuffed in the uper seat cushion. I feel I could have stoped, but at about double the typical distance. I too was thinking of the pinion brake for an emergency type thing, just need a master cylinder with a bar like a shifter or some such mounted somewhere handy but out of the way. The actual pinion brake set-ups aren't too much, mabe 2-3 hundered.
I thought it might be a good post as there has been such a large amount of New Members as of late, and these things might go unknown about. It' stuff like this newbs need to see....real life dramas. Well I'll admit this was low on the drama scale, but had I been down-town in traffic, it could have been a mess or lethal......

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will toss this into the discussion; the fording kit includes a check valve between the air tanks to maintain pressure on pressurized components if the compressor dies.
Other vehicles, notably the m656/xm757 (same era) uses check valves between all 3 tanks.
To complete the system, the warning buzzer and gauge should be plumbed to the first tank.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks