• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce mounted generator

bones1

I was thinking about installing a diesel genset like this http://www.generatorsales.com/order/1250TS.asp?page=1250TS
in the bed of my deuce and feed it off of the 2 fuel tanks on the truck in case of a power outage at my home or cabin. Also installing a 50a box like this on the bed inside http://www.amazon.com/Connecticut-E...im_auto_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0G8VDWWPXFQVHFBZQFQF
My question is would there be any generator ground issues you could think of with a setup like this? The genset would be isolated from the steel truck bed with rubber mounts.

Keith_J

5kW and over or 240 volt service requires grounding. See NEC for details, consult licensed electrician for hookup.

ke5eua

Drive a ground rod in the ground, run ground cable from generator ground lug on frame to rod, and rod to house / cabin ground rod. If it is a long stretch between house / cabin then ground generator but don't run a cable to the house. Make sure the house has a ground rod, usually next to the meter.

As far as ground issues from generator to truck, no. Unless you somehow manage to energize the bed of the truck you will be fine. This type of setup is done in the military, while on newer vehicles the concept is still the same.

Still need to consult in a licensed electrician for the wiring of the input circuit to the house / cabin to be in code.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will want to bond the generator ground to the vehicle frame.

Per NEC 250.34 you don't need to bond the vehicle to a ground electrode if the vehicle mounted generator is connected to loads via outlets mounted on the vehicle/generator (including any metal outlet boxes) and/or hard wired to equipment located ON the vehicle. Everything gets grounded via the chassis of the vehicle.

If you are powering loads off the truck (via outlet connected cords) you need to use a GFI for any cord connected equipment such as drills, electric trimmers, etc. A ground electrode is still not required for the vehicle.

If you are powering a home/shop through an electrical cable that extends the building ground to the generator (meaning you are using a 240v - 4 conductor cord with 2 hots, 1 neutral, and 1 ground) you do not ground the vehicle via a ground electrode.

So the only time you would be required to use a grounding electrode for a vehicle mounted generator is if you were powering a structure that had no independent ground as part of its electrical distribution system. For this situation you would connect the vehicle to a ground electrode.

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can't count on rubber mounts, to isolate the generator from the truck. It would need to be bonded to the generator, & then to ground.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drive a ground rod in the ground, run ground cable from generator ground lug on frame to rod, and rod to house / cabin ground rod. If it is a long stretch between house / cabin then ground generator but don't run a cable to the house. Make sure the house has a ground rod, usually next to the meter.
I'm not sure this is within code. I'm sure some electricians that are more up on current codes will correct me if I'm wrong but it's my understanding that you are only allowed one ground rod in a system. In other words, if you've got a ground rod already at the structure the generator is connected to, you don't drive one at the generator. You will need to run a ground wire from the generator to the house ground though.

I think two ground rods would be perfectly safe but I'm not sure it's within code.

Last edited:

bones1

Thanks for the replies. I suppose it would be the same as using a trailer mounter generator and feeding your building through 2 NEMA 14-50R electrical receptacles, one at the truck end and one on the outside of the building, fed thru and wired into the transfer switch( I do have that installed already as to not backfeed the lines) Do the trailer mounted gensets require grounding?

Also, when the indoor panel was upgraded to this panel http://tinyurl.com/o688yvc the electrician had to install two new ground rods about 8 ft apart to comply with Maryland code.
I may have to read more about this as well............." However, you may want to see if they allow you to use a non neutral switched transfer switch with your likely neutral bonded portable generator.if it is permitted to remove the neutral bond on the generator when attached to a non-neutral switched transfer switch. In theory this would be no different than a whole home generator setup"....
I understand this panel I have is a non neutral switched transfer switch.
As usual I am probably over thinking this but I want the install to be safe.

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A trailer mounted generator is the same as a truck mounted generator. No differentiation there. It doesn't require grounding when loads are outlet fed.

You will need to remove the neutral-ground bond at the generator when using it to power a residence with a bonded neutral at the service entrance. Otherwise the ground wire going to the generator would be conducting neutral current which isn't allowed.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exactly. If you are using it to power loads on the vehicle or via receptacle connected equipment (on or off vehicle) you must have the neutral and ground bonded and the generator grounded to the chassis of the vehicle. No ground electrode is necessary.

An exception that could be encountered by the OP - If you are using the generator to power a structure with its own electrical system and grounding you must unbond the neutral from the ground at the generator and connect the building ground to the vehicle chassis. No separate ground electrode at the generator is necessary.

As a FYI about myself I am an industrial EE/Facility Eng and a licensed electrician.

bones1

Exactly. If you are using it to power loads on the vehicle or via receptacle connected equipment (on or off vehicle) you must have the neutral and ground bonded and the generator grounded to the chassis of the vehicle. No ground electrode is necessary.

An exception that could be encountered by the OP - If you are using the generator to power a structure with its own electrical system and grounding you must unbond the neutral from the ground at the generator and connect the building ground to the vehicle chassis. No separate ground electrode at the generator is necessary.

As a FYI about myself I am an industrial EE/Facility Eng and a licensed electrician.
That sounds right to me. Thanks folks for the information.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks