• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Oil pressure troubles

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just had troubles with my Oil pressure sending unit.
and the big problem was Brass fittings to hook it to the engine and the brass cant hold the harminocs fo the engine I lost 3 gl of oil real quick and able to shut it down befor it lost all the oil.
Here is some photos what happen to the brass.
I replace it with Hydro fittings from parker they are for 6000 psi and are Steel much stronger than brass.
The last photo is the one with the Steel Fittings installed.
Check your Fittings and replace them befor engine damages happen.:driver:

Attachments

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't remember mine having that many fittings behind it, but I'm going from memory. Very good that you found out before your pressure went to zero! Thanks for the notice - I'm going to check mine when I get back home from the trip I'm on.

deuceman51

I would say the reason that failed is they added on fittings which made it stick that much farther from the block. More pressure was exerted on the fitting because the weight was that much further out and snap. Plus it's a pipe nipple which is already much weaker than the regular brass 45. The nipples have a thinner sidewall thickness.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say the reason that failed is they added on fittings which made it stick that much farther from the block. More pressure was exerted on the fitting because the weight was that much further out and snap. Plus it's a pipe nipple which is already much weaker than the regular brass 45. The nipples have a thinner sidewall thickness.
Well it was done by the military under Maint and I dont see the sending unit in brass I worked around Heavy Equipment and never seen brass on Hyd lines or water lines to or fuel but old verses new tech.
when I was younger I had a water line brake on me on 85 w900 Kenworth and it was short and close to the block and broke off the same way .
Mostly brass is ok for genral apps.
But not on oil / water / Hyd or fuel it is to soft of a metal and cant take hot to cold and vibrations on brass and steel dont mix well with each other and prone to fail.
So I went through my unit and pulled all the brass off and replace with stainless steel High pressure fittings and have alot more strengh to it.

All this post is to let Fellow members to know about the defect that may lurk under your hood.
And maybe save you an Engine. If you see oil build up around the fitting take time and pull it and do the up grade it cost me $8.00 to fix it and whole lot better than an engine.

deathrowdave

Change the fittings to hydraulic EXTRA HEAVY schedule 80 pipe fittings and you will have no more problems.The brass is to soft for the vibrations .These can be purchased at any NAPA where hydraulic hoses are made. :grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks