• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Question

onegmjack

Hello everyone Deuce has been doing fine,till I check the wheels for leaks.Always check to make sure no leaking brake fluid.Leaking gear oil right middle axle.I think I read some were the axle nut socket is 8 sided,3 inch
socket is this correct?I have read all the TM on replacing seals.I am planing on
replacing wheel cylinder,brake shoes,and seals,bearing if needed .I know in the past I have tried to clean shoes,but most have always grabbed when
saturated with gear oil.Any secret to cleaning or just replace them?Where do you buy the axle scoket?Thanks Dwight

crazyplowboy

You are correct the socket is a 3" 8-point socket. I picked up mine at my local NAPA for about $30 IIRC. As far as cleaning off the gear lube I would say get a few cans of brake cleaner anf spray everything down really good, that should take it all off without leaving a residue.

stumps

The oil expands, and comes out when heated... That's why shoes that have been cleaned start to grab after you use them for a while... The best way I have found to make them really usable again is to take them off the truck, heat them up to 300-400F, and wipe them down really well.... let the oil soak up in some newspaper, or clean rags. After you have gotten as much oil out as you can that way, let them cool and wash them down thoroughly in CRC brake cleaner.

-Chuck

steelandcanvas

The oil expands, and comes out when heated... That's why shoes that have been cleaned start to grab after you use them for a while... The best way I have found to make them really usable again is to take them off the truck, heat them up to 300-400F, and wipe them down really well.... let the oil soak up in some newspaper, or clean rags. After you have gotten as much oil out as you can that way, let them cool and wash them down thoroughly in CRC brake cleaner.

-Chuck
Nice trick. :-D I've been banned from using the washer, dryer, and dishwasher. :roll: Maybe she'll let me put the brake shoes in the oven. I still need to find another use for the trash compactor though. :roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks