• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce road tractor conversion

RAYZER

Well,i needed a tractor to pull my m146 trailor, i wanted to stick with a 2.5 ton for a few reasons: the m146 was designed to be pulled by a deuce, multi fuel capability and i allready had the deuce ww and couldn't find a m275a2 within reach.
So i bought all the components off the back of a junk 5 ton cheap and went to town, i put the 5th wheel just foward of center of tandem,removed 1 cross member,cut 12" off the back of the frame,installed the original pintle cross member back in,took 8" out of the spare tire rack ,used grade 8 bolts to put everything together.

A few things i still need to do: find some m818 tail light mounts, plumb in the air lines and trolly brake (still trying to figure that out).

pics coming!

mikey

I am constantly amazed with some of the members on this site and the things they can do. As a non mechanic whose biggest and most proud achievement to date has been installing spin on fuel and oil filters, these are the types of projects that leave me in awe.

Looks sweet OP.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great job. Especially the part with two fuel tanks. After market mud flaps are important too, in case you have to "bob tail".

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good Ray. There is a air system schematic in the back of the 361-20. Appendix E I believe. Follow the one for the M275A2. Attaching that TM (as long as its not too large)

Ooops, it was too large.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking good Ray.

Is the fellow that did the conversion going to plumb the air and fuel for you? It looks like he did a really nice job on everything. I'm sure the TM for the M275 will have a diagram for the air system; the fuel should be straight forward.

Somebody already mentioned mud flaps. Most states (like FL) require them if you don't have a trailer attached. Make sure you get removable ones or be sure they will clear the trailer landing gear.

Keep the pictures coming! :beer:

spicergear

Rayzor, I just removed the spare tire rack from my 5 ton tractor last night. Is there any reason other than having the one storage compartment to the driver's side that you put it on spun 180*?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rayzor, I just removed the spare tire rack from my 5 ton tractor last night. Is there any reason other than having the one storage compartment to the driver's side that you put it on spun 180*?
Tom, are you sure yours was opposite of Rayzers? Maccus has his reversed to look more like an M48.

armytruck63

I would think the spare should be on the passenger side of the truck. Imagine you are changing a tire on the side of the road and the spare gets away from you. Which is better, having it roll into some bushes, or having it roll out into traffic?

The spare is mounted in the correct direction also, with the safety ring facing away from the co-driver's seat.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think the spare should be on the passenger side of the truck. Imagine you are changing a tire on the side of the road and the spare gets away from you. Which is better, having it roll into some bushes, or having it roll out into traffic?QUOTE]

The M48 was the only one I can think of with the tire on the drivers side. I figure after removing one on the side of the road they got smart and put the others (dumps included) on the passenger side. Maccus' spare carrier is also off a M215 IIRC.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The only thing is the rear cross member, on the 5t tractor, the rear cross member is DROPED in the center with a corresponding droped pintle, to clear a LOW trailer pin as it hits low on the ramps, the same with the extended 2 1/2 ramps that will lift the trailer above the rear frame member. SO be careful, I have seen more then one fifth wheel pin hung up in the rear cross member on civi trucks.

spicergear

Yep, the M931A2 has the tire on the driver's side. Literally removed it last night. Didn't know the M818's had the tire on the pass's side. At the base of the little tire jib dealie you can see where the valves and trailer air lines come up and stow above. I pulled the 1400x20 out before picking it off with the tractor. Only took me about 12' to 15' to stop it rolling.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks