• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce tune-up?

SixBuy

Been fooling with the deuce for a couple of months now - changing all the fluids, filters, etc. and she still smokes. It's kind of a blue haze all the time except deceleration which is clear. Quick acceleration, like a blip on the throttle, makes a huge cloud of grey/white smoke. I'm guessing the blue smoke is oil as there is some blowby out the crankcase breather. A trucker friend tells me the grey/white is unburned fuel. I'm getting all sorts of opinions about stuck rings, dirty injectors, loose valve clearances, etc. Anybody got any ideas on what to do next? What's involved in a 'tune up'?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use my deuce at low rpm/low power for hours on end when operating the crane and need to take it for a good hard drive now and then to get it back to normal. It may take 10 miles at 50+ mph to get the engine running relatively smoke free again.
So, my question to you is, how do you drive your deuce?
Running the engine below operating temp and at low power will also give you more blowby.

Spend $25 and have the crankcase oil analyzed (see my posts on that subject for more info).

How is the turbo? Can you hear it spool down after you shut the engine off? Trouble with the turbo could mean that the oil seals are leaking (=more smoke).

Is your flame heater nozzle leaking oil into the intake manifold?

Partially cover the radiator to get the op temp up, take it for a 25 mile drive and report back. :)

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many miles are on the truck? How many hours are on the engine? Gray, white smoke is unburnt fuel. Is the engine up to operating temp when this happens? Try running it at least 20 miles, with at least 2000 rpm's and see if it clears up.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn and Ken said what I was going to say but used more words.
Drive the crap out of it!

SixBuy

Gee guys, what I'm hearing sounds like a religious experience! Maybe I'd better work on the mantra and fasten my seat belt! We've been bringing her back carefully - maybe too carefully!
Ken, to answer your question, This is a LDT-465-1D that went thru Tooele in 8/90 and then parked at Kirkland AFB, forever. Got 4800 miles showing. The oil was black as tar (lots of carbon and 4 gts. low) when I got it from GSA, Ft.Worth. Since the drain plugs were painted to the oil pan, I assume that was 15 year old oil in the pan. I've changed oil (Texaco Ursa 30 W) and filters (Baldwin - Thanks Kenny!) and ditto on fuel system. Added fresh fuel, diesel treat, injector cleaner and drove her in the 4th parade. Should I add something to the crankcase before pushing her hard?

Bjorn, good advice. I believe you had a prior post somewhere on Oil Analysis; I'll look it up for the how-to.

After we get some confidence, we want to hit the highway down to S.E. Texas and use her on the farm a bit before the fall parade season starts. We'll post again after taking her for an extended spin.

Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Driving these trucks is the very best thing you can do for them. Not just to the mail box either. A good hour in the saddle does wonders for these trucks. I'm no stranger racking up miles on a deuce!

SixBuy

I once drove my '62 CJ5 from Dallas to Yakima, Wa. and back. But that was with a V6 and overdrive! And I was almost 30 years younger then! Long haul w/o radio and air cond. hurts now! But I hear what you're sayin' I guess if it hasn't blown up by now it's not likely to. So here's hoping y'all don't read about me in the paper!

baja_power

Recovry4x4 said:
Driving these trucks is the very best thing you can do for them. Not just to the mail box either. A good hour in the saddle does wonders for these trucks. I'm no stranger racking up miles on a deuce!

how does a 30 minute trip. 2 times a day, 5 days a week. for 36 weeks sound? plus weekend trips of course :smile:

SixBuy

Yeah, in a former life it was a four-banger but one trip over Engineer pass reduced it to a Briggs and Stratton so it got a heart transplant and a Warn overdrive ( to offset the 5:38 axles). Turns out the grille from a Jeep commando is the same as a CJ with ears welded on which can be knocked off and voila, a V6 grille/shroud! Now it sits in the garage and watches me play with the Deuce... It is a Willys and the deuce is a Kaiser - sibling rivalry!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah BP, that works. You've far exceeded the workout most deuces get in civilian hands.

Wyattearp

You guys are killing me :banghead: , I can't wait to get the new motor in and get mine to rolling, believe it or not i already have one person wanting some hauling done, it isn't running yet and im getting approached already.

The Plan is to make a dump bed, I don't think it will be that hard and there are a couple of guys near by with huge forklifts and they metal fabricate for a living. I plan on using it here on the farm and for possibly making some extra money on the side, and of course there is that east coast convoy, GOLLY GEE WALLY I CAN'T WAIT!!!! :hop:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wyattearp, I've gone through exactly what you are. Took me a long time to get my first deuce on the road. It never really was right so the second one was my first real driver. I've probably got pics of my first real drive without the windshield. Bugs on the teeth and all, I was so happy. Hang in ther friend, It's worth the wait.

dlb

I added some lucas to the oil in mine and i actually think it helps alot in protecting the engine from wear.
i got in mine when I bought it and drove it about 500 miles the first time and about 550 the second time towing my M725 to Iowa and back. I had a towbar made and you couldnt even tell it was back there except on hills when the tank fuel pump went out. yes it kept runnin and got me back home. next long trip is to gilmore texas Fe in october towin the M725 unless I buy some more deuces and five tonners

Wyattearp

Recovery your right, i can't wait. But I can assure you that this one will be very drivable when im done, I plan on enjoying it, I plan on working it, I plan on making it a real habit forming disease if possible [:)] , one step at a time.

Cant wait to drive this thing to work, I can't wait to see the looks on some of my fellow employees faces :shocked: :freaked: . Plus i know the Inmate population there going to want to know what the heck was making the building shake LOL [^]

Wyattearp

i can answer the Lucas part, its lucas oil, i use it in my cummins they have fuel treatment and also have lucas oil also for front diffs and you can also put it in your crank oil i believe. Im more familiar with the Lucas fuel treatment as im a regular purchaser of it.

SixBuy

Deuce tune-up

Back before the Great Crash of 2005, I started a topic on doing a tune-up to the multifuel and it got lost somewhere; a search doesn't find it and I can't...

So the challenge is to find out why it smokes, slobbers and puffs. I thought I'd do the fuel injector nozzle test per TM 9-2320-209-10 and see what that produces. Somebody suggested a compression check and/or leakdown check which sounded like a good idea. The TM says compression should be 525 after five secs of cranking. Anybody ever done that or a leakdown? Are there standard adapters for the injector nozzle holes? And how do you test an injection pump? Remove it and take it somewhere? What I need is a good Organizational Unit Maintenance Manager like it says in the book!

Any ideas?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks