• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce wipers

GoHot229

I'v got the electric wipers, and I believe they were a military retro-fit when it was still active duty. Everything works great ........except.....the sweep on the driver side is so minimal that its almost useless, mabe 6-7 inches at the bottom, where-as the passenger side's sweep is at least 2/3's more distance in the sweep, say 12-14 inches. I'v looked and studdied the mechanismn, the rotating wheel with the pin that hooks to the rods and what I'm seeing is that one of two things might be wrong?? One is the rods that travel horozontally may be swaped to the wrong sides or the other remedy idea two is that the bal/pin on the inside wiper arm's hole is too far outboard from the shaft, thuc lowering leverage and distance of the sweep. Were the hole closer to the shaft through the windshield it would have a longer sweep. I'v adjuster the threaded bar both in and out and at the most in it seems the most distance Help

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got the electric wipers as well, I'll go out in a bit and take some measurements and look at it for you and see if I can find anything to help you out.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your rods may be on the wrong sides.

I have to assume that there is only one hole drilled in each wiper arm (the offset piece inside the cab). That offset on each arm should be pointing in the same direction as the wiper arm outside the window...when parked mine both point toward the right side of the vehicle. The drivers side horizontal arm that goes from the wiper motor to the wiper arm is 14 1/2" overall (end to end), the passenger side arm is 16 1/2" overall. When the wipers are parked, my eccentric arm on the wiper motor (where both horizontal arms connect) is pointing toward the right side as well.

I hope this helps.

GoHot229

Your rods may be on the wrong sides.

I have to assume that there is only one hole drilled in each wiper arm (the offset piece inside the cab). That offset on each arm should be pointing in the same direction as the wiper arm outside the window...when parked mine both point toward the right side of the vehicle. The drivers side horizontal arm that goes from the wiper motor to the wiper arm is 14 1/2" overall (end to end), the passenger side arm is 16 1/2" overall. When the wipers are parked, my eccentric arm on the wiper motor (where both horizontal arms connect) is pointing toward the right side as well.

I hope this helps.
Thanks so much man..... thats got to be it hopefully (swapped sides) Because everything looks installed right. I'll post the final outcome when I find the problem Thanks again Rich

jimm1009

When they shut down and park they are offset together to the right side of the windshield to the full travel mark and they should both be the same.
My M35A2C was also restrofitted with them before it's decomision and sale to me in 2007.
I have not been able to find much information on them but I have not yet read the M35A3 manuals yet and they are probably the same kit for that truck.

jimm1009

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the arms are swapped, while you have them out to reposition them, I would adjust the lengths and lock everything down before re-installation...it has to be easier to do it out of the truck than up inside the windows.

Like I said, the overall lengths of mine are posted, and mine swipe from frame to frame....or darned close anyway.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not vacuum operated....operate on air pressure. Kenny, the advantage IS: they both operate at the same speed, they have an adjustable sweep, larger blade rubber, and QUIET!

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
and I also understand that you can buy blades over the counter without any mods. Plus they have the built in knob for the washers...if you have a washer kit.

They do however make it harder to open the front windows from what I understand

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, considering all the responses, I'll stick with the air. Noise is no problem, I can throttle back the right wiper with the little ball valve I have installed and with the NAPA upgrade wipers, they use real wiper blades. By using air I can run them at virtually any speed. I do need to check someones out at the next rally where some show up. Can someone comment on the blind spot I've heard they create?

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, as to the blindspot.........just turn your head.;-)
Southdave: just tap the side of the "knarl" and it will pop off. It just presses onto the stem.

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know where I can get parts for the electric unit? I have one deuce with the upgrade and have purchased an NOS electric motor. Just need the remainder of the system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks