• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did I just break something?

jimmcld

I had pulled the 816 into the garage, nose first. When I started to back it out, I did not wait for the air pressure to build up before backing. There was a slight resistance, so I let out on the clutch a bit more. Thats when I heard a "ping" right before it started to roll backwards. Did I break something by not letting the sprag disengage after being in first?

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before moving...

1) I always build the air pressure 'til the buzzer goes off.
2) I work the shifter from 1st to R and back listening for the air release and thunks.

I don't know if you broke something, but you might want to check it out.

woodywood

Private
ive had my transfer case apart and in my opinion if you break the sprag in a 5 ton your probably gonna have gear oil running out of a crack in the t-case!the sprag is huge!it probably will break the shaft it rides on first!

Westech

CPL
not true there wood.... If you have had yours apart you would know how it works. It will eat its self and jama all the rollers and lock spring together and it will lock on the 6x6 and destroy front tires and the dump all sorts of little bits in to the oil. If you don't have any Air pressure the sprag goes in to neutral. There is a DOD mod that uses a deuce T case air switch and plums that in to the air supply of the Trans (that controls the sprag) so when 6x6 is not needed that sprag is in neutral and wont get destroyed if locked in forward and the truck rolls backwards.
So if you had no air pressure to start with that means the T case sprag was in neutral until enough was built up to move it.
The sprag is locked in forward when ever the trans in in a forward gear and neutral, locked in reverse only when the trans is in reverse.
What you heard was the sprag locking in. if you were rolling backwards and the trans was in reverse you "should" be ok... unless it was stuck in the forward sprag and you were rolling back. I would bet it just bound a little and slapped back when you got some air pressure, but as stated above.. always build air pressure and work the sprag back and forth once or twice. They do stick from time to time.

PS I drove a 813 with rear lockers 30 miles with the sprag locked on.. lost a set of front tires. you will NOT brake that main shaft in the t case even with a "welded sprag"

Last edited:

powerhouseduece

What you heard was the sprag locking in. if you were rolling backwards and the trans was in reverse you "should" be ok... unless it was stuck in the forward sprag and you were rolling back. I would bet it just bound a little and slapped back when you got some air pressure, but as stated above.. always build air pressure and work the sprag back and forth once or twice. They do stick from time to time.

:ditto:

I think it was the fact that when the truck had no pressure and you were rolling backwards, the sprag was in not engaged, but as pressue built, it might have "snapped" into reverse. You'll find out the next time you go offroad if you messed anything up because you'll be able to see if your front tires are pulling or not. I'm sure it's fine, like said before, thease are monster cases and kind of hard to distroy with just 1 shock load.

they are pretty tough. I jammed one of my trucks into reverse at about 15 mph once to stop it. (thanks to the single circut juicer brakes) I just banged reverse and slipped the clutch to stop the truck. (talk about overspeeding the clutch) then as I was leaving I got about 1/2 mile away and the transfer case let out a rather large bang as it was trying to figure out what direction i was going! the reverse slam going forward is not recomended but i do what i have to. all has been fine since. and this unit has had a few thousand miles put on it both on and off road. maybe i got lucky?
maybe the dumba$$ in the camper that pulled in front of me got lucky?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks