• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Different types of primers?

Capt.Marion

I'm truly clueless, and the past hour of Googling away hasn't helped.
Does anyone know a good website about the different types of automotive primers, or would somebody mind sharing a bit of their wisdom?

I finally got a sand blaster and some spraying equipment, so now I need to educate myself on the types of paints and primers etc...

Thanks guys, I have no clue what a newbie like me would do without all this valuable advice.
-Ken

EDIT: Well, poking around here and regarding some suggestions from friends who have done this stuff, I went ahead and got a gallon of the Rustoleum Rusty-Metal primer. Folks here seem to have had success with that, so that's what I'm going to go with for now.

My biggest concern with all the different types of primers was how different primers react with different types of top-coat paints, although that doesn't seem to be too much of an issue.

Thanks again,
Ken

86-1ton

the best thing to go with would be a full epoxy primer... they sell them at NAPA stores, as well as Carquest... with epoxy primer, you can sand blast a whole panel, prime it, and then do your body work directly over the primer... the use of a 'Self Etching' primer which contains zinc to prevent rust, cannot be used over, nor under, body filler...

devilman96

I have had really good luck with the following two primer types from MS (sold at Napa)... I’ve also been using a lot of Sherman Williams products in the past two years as they seem to be one of the few companies that have the ability to provide flattening agents on a consistent basis.

This gives the ability to use higher end paint systems on MV's vs the run of the mill synthetic and water blended stuff the military uses... Same colors, same look... much longer lasting results!!! They have several epoxy primers in both their automotive and industrial lines, I don’t have any product info handy but the guys in the stores can get you in a good direction...

Epoxies are not cheap...But like 86 was saying… if you are at bare metal you need a self etching primer and they (epoxy) are the only way to go!

http://www.martinsenour-autopaint.com/pds/martin/English/8221.pdf
http://www.martinsenour-autopaint.com/pds/martin/english/8206.pdf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks