• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dip stick numbers

goatijoe

Has any one ever figured out what the dipstick is calabrated in is it Qt. or gal. or is it a precentage of what is spose to be in the crankcase. I have looked but cant find anything on what the numbers mean on it. I allways just add till it says full but it would be nice to know what it means so I can read it so i know how much to get to fill her back up.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You got me curious, so I looked at mine. It appears to be quarts, since the marks are showing 'full', down '2' and down '4'. After sitting for a while the oil level should be the equivalent of 3 or four 'high' from the full mark, since the GI filters drain. HTH.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A cold non-started engine with canister filters should be about 4 qts over full as the oil filters drain back in to the pan.

Spin-on's will be different.

Last edited:

goatijoe

Thats what i was figuring it was in Quarts. Yes Steelandcanvas i know about checking it after it has run. I check it twice once before and after it is cranked its just old habit to check the oil in something like that before you fire it off. Like they say you can't never check enough or you will be sorry if you hadn't. I have been know to check after driving to make sure i didn't loose to much while it was running, as long as you don't have a puddle its safe to say you still have the same amount of oil you left with when you check it but ill check it anyways before driven.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
An old trick is make sure the oil is where it should be when warm, then shut the engine down, let things cool down and the oil drain back, over night is good, in the morning, check the oil, use a file to mark the dip stick at the cold level, NOW you can check the oil COLD before you start and you will be good to go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks