• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Disabling the 5-Ton Front Axle Auto-Locking-In-Low-Range Device.

Artisan

EDIT: SS member tinydragon2001 has a good way to accomplish
the below w/ less work. Tiny says further on in this thread;

"I didn't mess with the washer. I simply removed the arm on that air valve
by loosening the Allen head screw that holds it on, and the little
arm pops right off. Then I can decide when I want the front
axle engaged whether in high or low range with the dash switch."
End EDIT.

I have been wayyyyyy busy on the "Artisan's M916" project and
have not keyed, again, on my M925A1, for quite some time.

I have been stewing over posts in the recent & past about
the 5 Ton transfer case and it's care and overall
performance that the 5 Ton "lacks",
UNLESS, perhaps, you do a few modifications.

Just a quick note to all 5 Ton owners:
READ THE YELLOW DASH DATA PLATE RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR
NOSES/EYES, CENTERED OVER THE STEERING COLUMN !!!

Ok, what does it say about REVERSE and the T/C in LOW-RANGE?

Does not it say DO NOT USE Transfer Case IN LOW RANGE ?

Having said that, if a guy KNOWS his 5 Ton, and if said 5 Ton is
only operated by the owner, and if the owner REMEMBERS the mods
he has made to the truck, and/or the owner makes a NEW placard
advising all new drivers of the modifications so a new driver knows
the truck is not OE, then OK! It is no longer a truck that 700 men
may jump in and expect it to perform OE.

It is a good idea to tell others you modified the truck, yes?

( A good aftermarket placard opportunity here, yes? )

Here is a very well documented u-tube video on the Auto-Washer-Lock-Removal
that I am now inclined to believe, that all "In-the-Know" should do. If I am
in err, and you can FACTUALLY prove "Us" wrong, PLEASE correct us in reply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxbu8CVUUrk

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just my observations. I like the front shift on the fly as sometimes in muddy Mississippi slop while going slow I can shift in and out as needed. My transfer case lever is a real handful sometimes to engage. I like the easy factor.

On the negative side, I have had kids flip the lever when I was showing the truck as a static display but the warning light when I started it, alerted me to the fact.

Now, I have at least once forgotten and backed up very slowly with no problem.....

I didn't mess with the washer. I simply removed the arm that makes contact with the washer on that air valve by loosening the Allen head screw that holds it on, and the little arm pops right off. Then I can decide when I want the front axle engaged whether in high or low range with the dash switch.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled the section of linkage that has the washer and reinstalled it backwards, so the washer is well away from the valve arm. Two cotter pins and about two minutes to do.

acme66

So far I have tried the remove the washer, as shown in the video, and the move the arm methods. If the nuts are gummy moving the arm is an easy fix. I have not tried flipping the linkage, that also sounds easy and could be returned to "normal" easy with just a pair of pliers so next time I will try that.

Ken

todds112

I didn't mess with the washer. I simply removed the arm that makes contact with the washer on that air valve by loosening the Allen head screw that holds it on, and the little arm pops right off. Then I can decide when I want the front axle engaged whether in high or low range with the dash switch.
Mine came like that from the Gov't.

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I removed the arm on mine this past weekend. Took me less than 5 minutes and that included crawling under the truck to see what tool I needed, back out to get the allen wrench and then back under again. Piece of cake! The arm seemed much easier to do than the washer method but that is just my opinion.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
could you not just go in this way? and use a cut wheel on the angle grinder. I prob wouldn't bump my head or have to wear my helmet this way :cookoo:

Attachments

MtnSnow

could you not just go in this way? and use a cut wheel on the angle grinder. I prob wouldn't bump my head or have to wear my helmet this way :cookoo:
You could but you have to have the spare tire removed which is a way bigger hassle unless it's already off the truck as shown by your picture. Also I personally would not CUT things as that destroys the part. But its your truck, so do as you see fit :whistle:

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
I flipped the linkage like VPed recommended and it only took a couple of minutes. Easy to revert back to original configuration. Thanks VPed[thumbzup] I wanted to be able to be in low range without the front axle engaged as I was going to be in a Veterans Day parade and it would make it much easier to just keep it in first gear and low range so I didn't have to ride the brakes and chance losing the air. Parade got cancelled due to weather so never really got to test it in parade mode. Maybe another time:driver:

Artisan

Sorry if it's a stupid question as I'm still learning about these trucks. Why can you not reverse why in low range or I assume when the front axle is engaged

READ THE HOW TO DRIVE THIS TRUCK PLACARD I FRONT OF YOUR STEERING COLUMN.
it says something like NO REVERSE IN LOW RANGE yes?

Read the -10 bro...

Csm Davis

The easiest way I found was to unscrew the mounting bolts on the body of the air switch and move the switch down one bolt and screw the bolts back in their holes. But regardless of how you do it I recommend do it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks