• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DIY or cheap intercom

DaneGer21

Has anyone set up their own headset and intercom system? I’m looking for a budget build, I don’t need new, I just need functional.

2 person set up with headsets, possibly up to 3 in case there’s a young’n in the middle.

Thoughts? Ideas? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That setup is very similar to what I use and powered by a 9v battery or AUX power cord. The intercom system and civilian two-plug aviation headsets can be purchased relatively inexpensively on eBay.

DaneGer21

That setup is very similar to what I use and powered by a 9v battery or AUX power cord. The intercom system and civilian two-plug aviation headsets can be purchased relatively inexpensively on eBay.
I just wasn’t sure if the intercom’s HAD to be plugged into an aircraft to operate, it sounds like they don’t.

So basically an intercom like pictures above, and 2-4 headsets?

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not what you would consider "budget", but I've done some research and here are wireless headsets that cover both ears, 3 pair for under 1,000.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DaneGer, You are correct, they do not have to be plugged into a radio or anything else. As mentioned above, most are powered by a 9v battery.

They are hands free for intercom use, no buttons to push, the microphones attached to the headsets are voice activated. Used in a vehicle, you will want foam muffs on the mics to cut extraneous wind/engine noise from activating them. There is usually a squelch knob you can adjust to just above the ambient noise threshold.

Cheers

DaneGer21

DaneGer, You are correct, they do not have to be plugged into a radio or anything else. As mentioned above, most are powered by a 9v battery.

They are hands free for intercom use, no buttons to push, the microphones attached to the headsets are voice activated. Used in a vehicle, you will want foam muffs on the mics to cut extraneous wind/engine noise from activating them. There is usually a squelch knob you can adjust to just above the ambient noise threshold.

Cheers
I appreciate the confirmation, and thanks for the tips!

INFChief

I’ve long since forgotten how we did it - but I’m sure it was simple. We used to wire boom boxes into our APC intercom systems. I was a E3 operating a M578 recovery vehicle and my Company Commander wanted to go on a recovery mission with me & my 1 crewman. He didn’t bat an eye as AC/DC was blaring through our headsets rattling our brains. The next time he brought a cassette of the B52’s.

WOLF DOG

Dane, you might want to check out these David Clark voice powered ear muffs. In the 80's I was a Level 1 start-up tech on a nuclear power house, testing electrical systems, running them through their paces, and documenting to make sure all systems met safety requirements before going online. We used ear muffs very similar to these for communication with co-workers. There were temporary connection boards distributed through out the project with numbered jacks. We carried a light weight 2 conductor cord about 100 ft long with male and female connectors around with us. Then we would find the nearest connection board to the piece of equipment about to be run, pick a numbered jack that wasn't in use and plug my ear muffs in. My partner would then go his position, find the connection board and plug his ear muffs into the same numbered jack. We now had good reliable communication established which was essential for our procedures. Of course this was all approved and logged with the main control room operators before any test or runs were performed.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks