• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do I have towing on my policy?

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, a few weeks ago I was loading up the 5 ton to take it to a car show about 70 miles from the house. I packed my normal stuff and went to get my "grab bag" of tools when I realized if it was anything other than relatively minor repairs, I was going to have to BOHICA...... I don't even have a jack to jack up the truck, an impact to remove lug nuts or jack stands....

So I call my insurance company...

"State Farm, how can I help you?"

"Hi, it's kendelrio. Quick question... what all vehicles do I have towing on?"

**checks policies**

"All of them except the 1990 AM General"

"Is it eligible (I have it insured as a classic vehicle) for a towing policy and if so, how much would it cost to add it?"

"Do you need a tow right now sir? Because we wouldn't cover that!"

"No, I don't, I'm just covering bases for if I ever do..."

"Yes sir, it is eligible and it would cost..... $12 a year to add it".

"Please do"....

I know for a fact the truck needed to tow a 5 ton costs $1,000 to out the key in the ignition... so $12 a year is worth it to me...

Next step is to start buying "big boy" roadside tools I guess. 🤷‍♂️

You may want to check if your vehicle can be covered with a tow rider...

CMPPhil

Hi

Very good point, when you call be sure to be specific about the vehicle size and weight. Also ask about distance limit and if they have a cost of tow limit.

Beware that you, generally, have to use their tow vendors they will not reimburse you.

When you call for a tow again be very specific about what they will be towing weight, height and length. Otherwise you may wait an hour or more for the tow company to show up with tow vehicle to small for the job.

I have the tow coverage on my Hagerty insurance and have used it, they also have different distance options so be sure to get the coverage that matches your driving.

Cheers Phil

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have State Farm insurance on my M35A3. It is insured via a commercial policy for non-commercial use. I was told by State Farm that I could add a towing policy for the truck, but that they only supply tow trucks designed to tow cars and light pickups and vans and that if the tow truck shows up when I call and they can't handle the tow, I'm on my own. You may be wasting $12.00 on the coverage since a 5 ton is obviously even bigger and heavier than a deuce. I needed an 18 mile tow for my deuce a few years ago and it only cost me $125.00 for a local tow company to handle the tow with a very large tow truck designed to handle semi tractors. I did allow them to take 4 hours to respond to permit them to help me between emergency calls since my tow could easily be delayed. If I was you, I would confirm with State Farm that they are willing to dispatch and pay a tow company that can handle your 5 ton.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, a few weeks ago I was loading up the 5 ton to take it to a car show about 70 miles from the house. I packed my normal stuff and went to get my "grab bag" of tools when I realized if it was anything other than relatively minor repairs, I was going to have to BOHICA...... I don't even have a jack to jack up the truck, an impact to remove lug nuts or jack stands....

So I call my insurance company...

"State Farm, how can I help you?"

"Hi, it's kendelrio. Quick question... what all vehicles do I have towing on?"

**checks policies**

"All of them except the 1990 AM General"

"Is it eligible (I have it insured as a classic vehicle) for a towing policy and if so, how much would it cost to add it?"

"Do you need a tow right now sir? Because we wouldn't cover that!"

"No, I don't, I'm just covering bases for if I ever do..."

"Yes sir, it is eligible and it would cost..... $12 a year to add it".

"Please do"....

I know for a fact the truck needed to tow a 5 ton costs $1,000 to out the key in the ignition... so $12 a year is worth it to me...

Next step is to start buying "big boy" roadside tools I guess. 🤷‍♂️

You may want to check if your vehicle can be covered with a tow rider...
I think i would have them mail you a copy of your policy with that truck on it and read it closely most carriers when you get in the fine print bail out on you when they look at your declared weight of the vehicle and how big the wrecker would have to be. Hopefully your doesnt care but some do.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just sat down with my insurance agent (great people!) and discussed the peculiarities of the 5 ton (weight etc) and was assured that had been taken into consideration when the policy was written, so I'm covered.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just sat down with my insurance agent (great people!) and discussed the peculiarities of the 5 ton (weight etc) and was assured that had been taken into consideration when the policy was written, so I'm covered.
That is the way to do it. Finding out the answer is no the hard way when a tow is needed and they won't send anyone is not the right way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks