• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dodge M 880 Stalls When Put In Gear

knighthawk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently purchased a Forest Service M 880 that had been sitting for some time. After straightening out some messed up wiring and a bad ignition switch it starts and runs well. Lights , brakes and steering are fine. The problem is when I put in drive or reverse it stalls unless I rev the engine up . It will drive but will stall when I come to a stop. I suspect a torque converter problem but am not sure. Any suggestions or wisdom ?

knighthawk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Idle is normal. I have not put a tach on it but would estimate 650 to 700 RPM. I can put the tranfer case in neutral and put the Transmission in any gear without stalling.

Lawrence of Arabia

I experienced this driving one in Saudia Arabia. The truck would only run if I had it in 1st or 2nd while flooring it. After beating my head against the wall and changing a lot of unecessary parts, I discovered the vacum advance on the distributor was junk. I replaced it and it ran like a new truck.

ChevyC60

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am having same problem with my M880. The torque converter has an electrical lock up. May be the poblem. Want to know the fix or maybe I will.

diesel583

880's don't have lockup converters. So if you have one the trans has been changed. They are as simple as it gets, my guess would be the vacume advance. Drove mine for 20 years only big problem was the amp meter.

kingcrunch

All original M880s did not come with the lockup trans. They were not intruduced throughout the M880 (and siblings) production run.
I own a M880 with unmodified drivetrain, my buddy owns one with an unmodified drivetrain and i know at least 20 other guys whose
trucks drivetrains haven't been modified and did not come with the lockup converter.

Unfortunately your trucks transmission is not year correct. I'd not worry about it, the lockup saves fuel on the long run.

M880

I have a m880 that ive tested the starter relay on and changed the coil but i have no spark no lights no ignition im not sure of my problem maybe the ignition switch? Any help is much appreciated

kingcrunch

The ammeter is fully irrelevant to this problem. The truck starts, idles, revs but stalls when put in gear.
Question:
How does it stall?
Does it just bog down and die or is it more violent, which would give room for the suspicion
of a mechanical blockade in the transmission or converter? Does it stall when fully warmed up?

Did you check all vacuum canisters (there's one on the carb and one on the distributor aswell as the brake
booster (just a big vacuum canister)), all vacuum hoses and the carb itself for leaks?

If not, start here. Replace where necessary (canisters should at least HOLD 15 in/hg of vacuum for a period
of time (like 15-20 minutes minimum). Spraying brake cleaner around the carb base should not make the engine
rev up. If it does, there's a vacuum leak.

Don't check vacuum lines with your mouth, you wont make enough vacuum, use a vacuum pump :D

It's also possible that the venturi cluster tubes are clogged.
The venturi cluster sits down in the carbs throat, they can not be seen from there, you have to remove the
choke plate, then remove the two venturi cluster screws and remove the venturi cluster. You should have new
gaskets at hand. The venturi cluster breaks down in several parts, one has the thin brass tubes pressed into the
underside. Clean these with a very fine wire and compressed air. Make sure they blow through freely (could check
that with your mouth).

I've had carbs in my hands that wouldn't idle or run at all and their venturi tubes were fully clogged with residuals.

Check these things and return to this thread to tell us if that worked or not.

Alex

dtracy22

I highly doubt it has anything to do with the transmission. If it was the torque converter you would notice it jerking while driving too. When a engine stalls when put into gear it is too lean. Carburetors are complex in that they have multiple circuits in how they operate depending on operating conditions (vacuum). Basically rebuild the carb and make **** sure the floats are set right. Replace any bad vacuum lines and vacuum check the vacuum pod for the choke. Also make sure all passages are clear in the clear. I would almost bet this will fix your problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks