• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dogbones

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If I take the u-bolts off of my spring pack can I take this top part off to access the bolts behind it? Seems like it would give me a lot better access to knock the hell out of them to free them up.
You could... The dogbone is inserted into a tapered (matching) part of the truck. Hitting that chunk of metal rather than trying to drive it out should be easier. Soaking with your favorite penetrating oil might help as well.

Plan to buy new U-Bolts when you find them rusted where the mud and crud collects there at the trunion.

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m don’t think it’s going to be too bad. Even the cotter pins slid out pretty easy. It’s weird…some parts of this truck have quite a bit of rust and other parts don’t have any. The damn pins holding the drop sides for the bed were horrible. Took me a week and possibly some hearing loss before I put on some ear protection before I got those hammered out.
When I take off the spring pack does the lifting shackle on the springs just come off or is there more to it??

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Miss wrote that..
When I take the u-bolt off the spring pack does that top lifting shackle just come off?
Yes sir, It sits there on top of the rod that runs through the spring-pack.

Best on your operation to replace the dogbones.
It has been as easy as pie at times for me - and absolutely miserable too.

Hopefully you get the easy version!

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you. I’m not too intimidated by the dog bones. After that I’m replacing all the front axle seals and boots. For some reason that job scares me a bit. A lot more things to keep track of and remember…

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you. I’m not too intimidated by the dog bones. After that I’m replacing all the front axle seals and boots. For some reason that job scares me a bit. A lot more things to keep track of and remember…
Well, of you do decide to remove the spring pack bolts you may as well go ahead and repack the trunion bearings.

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for pointing that out. I might as well since I’ll have it apart. I have a full set of the paper TMs coming in this week. I’m getting tired of trying to find what I need on the computer and printing up each set of sheets. I fell like I retain things better by flipping pages kinda like looking at an mold map. My kids make fun of me for that but I make fun of them cause they can’t read or write in cursive 😂

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for pointing that out. I might as well since I’ll have it apart. I have a full set of the paper TMs coming in this week. I’m getting tired of trying to find what I need on the computer and printing up each set of sheets. I fell like I retain things better by flipping pages kinda like looking at an mold map. My kids make fun of me for that but I make fun of them cause they can’t read or write in cursive 😂
You're not alone in that. The printed version works better for me, too.

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the rear upper done today…The u-bolt nuts wouldn’t budge at all so I put a splitting wedge in there at an angle and knocked the heck out it till it came out. The hardest part was trying to get the new one back in. Just couldn’t get the holes lined up at all.
I’m bleeding and bruised but at least one is done. Think I’ll try the front upper next weekend after I heal a bit.
You guys that get all six done in one day have my respect for sure!!

The trailer torque arms are just a little shorter then the ones that go on the trucks other then that they are the same . some times I have used a chain and load binder or a come long to do the pulling to get the end aligned .

With the tapered surface on these end some time a good vibration from a air hammer will get them out and unscrew the nut there is just not much room to work .

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the front upper done today in about an hour!! I figured out that this “Golden” wedge from Harbor Freight fits right up against the bolts behind the spring pack and a few heavy wacks on the pointed side knocks them loose. Use safety glasses….
I pulled the ends together with a ratchet strap and the new bone slipped right in.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks