• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doghead relay...2 purple wires?

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doghead relay...2 purple wires? ...now hard starting

Doing the starter relay mod as I've done many times but this time no purple/white stripe wire to tell the 12v with the on. I tried to test both wires but neither one reads 12v with the key on. I did cut the wire harness apart to try and fine the purple/white wire with no luck. This truck has had problems cold starting and the GP system was not working when i got the truck. Any advice would be appreciated. Red wire does have 24v.

David

Attachments

Last edited:

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...got it the 20 amp engine control fuse was blown, now with key in the start position I have 12v to one of the purple wires and nothing on the other so that must be the 24v switched wire.

Thanks, David

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still working on this truck and having a hard time finding the source of the very hard starting. Everything is new, GP's, new card, new batteries,new cables,GP relay, starter relay and new spin on fuel filter with new fuel lines to the IP. New fuel filter has very good pressure a fuel lines have good pressure to IP.

The GP system is working correctly, cycles the GP's and both Gen lights work. I took the whole gauge cluster apart and rebuilt. All works as is should.

The problem is that nothing has changed from when I got the truck. It takes many tries and the truck spins fast, (it's got a newer starter) to get the truck to fire and when it does some unused fuel (white smoke) is coming out the tailpipe. After its running its got good power, no stumble, idles great, and no smoke. Drives great. But after 5-10min of sitting is hard to start once again, the motor is hot...so I assume no need for the GP to cycle.

I did notice that some fuel was dripping from the throttle shaft into the valley pan, but it has mostly stopped.

Is it time for a rebuild of the IP?

Thanks, David

blueblaze

I'm thinking IP is leaking down over a longer time period causing hard starts. Throttle shaft seals do go bad. They usually stop leaking after engine warm up. They will eventually get to the point where they leak bad enough and it'll do this exact thing. After 5 to 10 mins is pretty short though.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because the problem exists both when the engine is cold and hot (when you don't need the GP's) i am thinking it's the IP. I come out this morning and saw two drip spots on the floor between the converter cover and oil pan....i need to check the valley pan when I get home for fuel. I think it's the IP leaking down over time that makes it hard to start...but even after 5-10 min it harder than it should be. Because you have to give it almost full throttle while cranking to start.

cpf240

Replace the return line on the IP with a clear fuel line, then you can look for air bubbles. Also, while you are in there, you can see if the return check valve is clogged.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks