• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

don't cut corners

joseph m37

if you have a m37 and plan on driving it then go through the engine and the radiator completely,we purchased a running m37 thought everything was fine then one day we spun a rod bearing,we had a decision to make,replace the bearing with the engine in or pull the entire engine out of the truck,after some advise pull or not to pull we decided to pull the engine,thank god we did. the engine freeze plugs were loose, the engine was completely full of radiator stop leak,the cooling passages in the block were packed with stop leak,took head off 2pistons had broken rings,the radiator was frozen at one point and the top tank had stress cracks in it, the core was full of crap. engine block was disassembled and the the block and head were sent out to a machine shop for cleaning and magnafluxing, head was checked for flatness,crankshaft was turned,crank also was bent we found. insstalled new pistons rings,cam bearing,valve seats valves ground,the engine came out perfect,runs like a clock,we did the assembly so we saved money there but seriously you don't know how or who took care of these trucks,there's alot of shade tree mechanics,who remove items or change pieces on the engine which is not correct. the radiator we fixed ourselves,got a big plastic barrel,put the radiator in with some hot cleaning solution,put a air line with an regulator in the bottom tube and pushed the cleaning reversed up out the top neck,wire wheeled the stress cracks then soldered them,radiator is good,people neglect the radiator and after 70 years believe me its going to need to be cleaned.we did a lot of work,be patient and take your time,don't take short cuts,there is good help and advise out there,Vintage Power Wagon and Midwest Military are excellent ,have fun Joe

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep take your time and work on it like you love it. I have some people coming over to look at my M37 and I hope they bring cash. It is running real well and looking good but if I end up keeping it and motor goes out then. V8 automatic transmission and both axles changed out with power steering and disc brakes.

joseph m37

Yep take your time and work on it like you love it. I have some people coming over to look at my M37 and I hope they bring cash. It is running real well and looking good but if I end up keeping it and motor goes out then. V8 automatic transmission and both axles changed out with power steering and disc brakes.
we almost done with our 2nd M37, engine has a complete machining and rebuild, transfer case taken off sent to local college mechanics school for rebuild, all fluids in axels changed, in process of body work and paint, box is off gettimg sandblasted,looking good runs and starts right up,like i said take your time and be patient

joseph m37

if you have a m37 and plan on driving it then go through the engine and the radiator completely,we purchased a running m37 thought everything was fine then one day we spun a rod bearing,we had a decision to make,replace the bearing with the engine in or pull the entire engine out of the truck,after some advise pull or not to pull we decided to pull the engine,thank god we did. the engine freeze plugs were loose, the engine was completely full of radiator stop leak,the cooling passages in the block were packed with stop leak,took head off 2pistons had broken rings,the radiator was frozen at one point and the top tank had stress cracks in it, the core was full of crap. engine block was disassembled and the the block and head were sent out to a machine shop for cleaning and magnafluxing, head was checked for flatness,crankshaft was turned,crank also was bent we found. insstalled new pistons rings,cam bearing,valve seats valves ground,the engine came out perfect,runs like a clock,we did the assembly so we saved money there but seriously you don't know how or who took care of these trucks,there's alot of shade tree mechanics,who remove items or change pieces on the engine which is not correct. the radiator we fixed ourselves,got a big plastic barrel,put the radiator in with some hot cleaning solution,put a air line with an regulator in the bottom tube and pushed the cleaning reversed up out the top neck,wire wheeled the stress cracks then soldered them,radiator is good,people neglect the radiator and after 70 years believe me its going to need to be cleaned.we did a lot of work,be patient and take your time,don't take short cuts,there is good help and advise out there,Vintage Power Wagon and Midwest Military are excellent ,have fun Joe

ok heres a little safety tip for guys with M37,to avoid a catastrophe go under the vehicle on the passenger side, find the big cable that runs over the drive shaft to the stater,it should be held by a wire clip,if not because it rusted and fell off,immediately support that cable,i used a heavy zip tie. my clip was still there but its 70year old rusted metal, don't trust it,support it with additional support, that cable falls on a spinning driveshaft, driveshaft wears through the insulation,hits the cable with 24 volts, you'll have a massive arc and probably a fire check those clips, easy fix that will save your truck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks