• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dot 5 discoloring in open air

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just curious. I bought several small canisters with DOT 5 for my truck. Opened one to lubricate stuff while overhauling the MC and Air Pack two or more years ago. Closed the canister, opened it yesterday and the color is much more yellowish, not like the blue hue from the freshly opened canisters. IS that normal?

I tried to find information on that here, but both dot and 5 are too short to show up in searches.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The dye in DOT 5 breaks down with age from purple to golden yellow. This helps tell you the age of the fluid but not the condition. If the bottle has been stored in a cool dry place I'm sure it's fine. If it was sealed air tight then you're "golden" pun intended. It doesn't absorb water like DOT 3/4 so if you want to be sure pour it in a clear bottle and look for any water forming at the bottom.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was always in the unheated workshop, so cold int he winter and not very warm in summer, in closed canisters.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks