• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dragoon 300 Pre Production Armored Vehicle restoration

Dragoon300

I have a pre-production Dragoon 300 that I have had for many years now. I am currently getting the engine, transmission, chain case and in/out box together on a test stand that I'm building.
Does anyone else have a Dragoon out there, or have any interest in them ? I have pictures and lots of information on the history of these vehicles and am interested in sharing it with other interested members. 20220726_140143.jpg05-10-04-001.jpg

Dragoon300

I have a pre-production Dragoon 300 that I have had for many years now. I am currently getting the engine, transmission, chain case and in/out box together on a test stand that I'm building.
Does anyone else have a Dragoon out there, or have any interest in them ? I have pictures and lots of information on the history of these vehicles and am interested in sharing it with other interested members. View attachment 875274View attachment 875275
It looks better in this picture than it does currently, it's got a long way to go, but I am finally going to get to finishing it!

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OH THAT THING IS AWFUL !!!!! Get the engine running smooth and the drivetrain too then put it back in the truck and i will have a lowboy come by in the dark and yall load it before your neighbors see it ! i will even pay the freight to help you out ! Just pm me when you get it buttoned up and i would delete all pictures on the web to be safe from 300 haters .

Dragoon300

I have been building a power pack for my Dragoon over the last few months. The Detroit Diesel 6V53T and Allison MT 653DR came out of a 1980 Chevrolet dump truck. Fortunately I had a collection of the original early Dragoon hydraulic pumps, brackets, accessories and a Verne chain case with most of the internals to start with. I decided to keep the air compressor that came on the Detroit even though the Dragoon 300 never had one. To do this I had to mount the turbocharger farther to the rear than it would have been. I had to move it anyway, since it was mounted high on the top front of the engine from the Chevrolet. Lots of things to do yet, but thought I'd share some pictures of this project. 

Attachments

Dragoon300

You never know i ran a little silver 6v92 for about 5 yrs that didnt have a leak on the thing anywhere !
In many ways I wish this was a silver series, they were designed to stop the "Green Leaker's" leaks. Although this engine is the same vintage as the hull it is going in, and the major accessory brackets, so it is ok with me this way. At this point I want a running vehicle. I will however line the engine compartment floor with oil soakup Matt's like the boat guys do with Detroits.

rustystud

Love your rigg ! I have a MT600 series I was going to rebuild just for "grins and giggles" . I used to rebuild them and the HT700 series years ago.
I must confess I never heard of the "Dragoon 300" vehicle. I was a M60A1 tank crewmen in the Marines but never heard of this rigg. Are there many left ?

Dragoon300

Love your rigg ! I have a MT600 series I was going to rebuild just for "grins and giggles" . I used to rebuild them and the HT700 series years ago.
I must confess I never heard of the "Dragoon 300" vehicle. I was a M60A1 tank crewmen in the Marines but never heard of this rigg. Are there many left ?
The US military only purchased a few around 1983 that are commonly know. The Army 9th ID tried two versions of electronic warfare test vehicles. The Navy bought a modified APC version for nuclear base security. I have some photos I found of Marines with a Dragoon 300 APC, it is likely a Navy vehicle. I will post them here later.
Most Dragoons were sold to foreign countries, Venezuela and Turkey got quite a few. Police versions called the "Patroller" have been in a fare number of police departments here too. Thanks for the reply, I always enjoy talking about Dragoons.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks