• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving Cross Country. Have you done it?

Nomadic

I have the dream to camp out in the wild in the USA. Nevada has been a top spot with the huge amounts of public land, less people and awesome views in the country. I had no idea it was this awesome. But dispersed camping has been limited to driving on roads within the country. Driving a 5-Ton off the road over brush, hidden rocks, ravines, river beds and over some hills out of site to a choice spot is the idea I have.

I look at the pictures and videos of these 5-Ton trucks and think they would travel just fine. Some problems might be a punctured tire from nails, screws and crap left over from miners of yesteryear. Getting stuck would be another issue. The product/sales videos (like from OshKosh) have the trucks traveling cross country on a graded road. Was the intent of the cross country travel to be on a more smoother surface than what I'm describing? Do you foresee any issues driving these trucks in this way and piloted by someone with off-road/jeep trail driving training?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have just described what wildland firefighters do with these trucks every day. Not to say things don't get torn up though. You will not be able to drive these trucks like a Baja race truck, your body won't be able to take it.

Nomadic

You have just described what wildland firefighters do with these trucks every day. Not to say things don't get torn up though. You will not be able to drive these trucks like a Baja race truck, your body won't be able to take it.
Excellent example. I hadn't thought of the firefighter scenario. The electric company (and internet/fiber) has big ass trucks in the country too, but they typically drive on rough (mostly graded) roads.

Baja ala Ford Raptor style is out of the question :D Slow and easy is the name of the game. I'll need a trailer for fuel too.

What did you have in mind for things getting torn up?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Torque rods. Air lines. Tires are the main things. Being mindful of what your driving on helps alot. I try to avoid any rocks bigger than a watermelon sized. Just dont stress the truck out.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Nomadic

Torque rods. Air lines. Tires are the main things. Being mindful of what your driving on helps alot. I try to avoid any rocks bigger than a watermelon sized. Just dont stress the truck out.

NFW do I want to deal with busted torque rods or air lines. Are the air lines left in the open vulnerable? How are the air lines and torque rods getting damaged?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
NFW do I want to deal with busted torque rods or air lines. Are the air lines left in the open vulnerable? How are the air lines and torque rods getting damaged?
Articulation on the rear axle can crack or bust old brittle painted air lines. The air dryers on the 939 trucks hangs down low and is vulnerable. Torque rods in general are known to pop even brand new. If you are comfortable with your truck and it's safe and stable to go offroad then you will be fine. Just make sure you know what may be prone to failure unlike some folks who get a ragged out truck then go right to playing in it and Wonder why things break.

The sad part is that the interstate roads in this country are just as rough as an old washed out mountain road. If you drive across Louisiana and nothing on your truck falls off you can take on mt everest with that suspension

Nomadic

Articulation on the rear axle can crack or bust old brittle painted air lines. The air dryers on the 939 trucks hangs down low and is vulnerable. Torque rods in general are known to pop even brand new. If you are comfortable with your truck and it's safe and stable to go offroad then you will be fine. Just make sure you know what may be prone to failure unlike some folks who get a ragged out truck then go right to playing in it and Wonder why things break.

The sad part is that the interstate roads in this country are just as rough as an old washed out mountain road. If you drive across Louisiana and nothing on your truck falls off you can take on mt everest with that suspension

Good things to know. So when you are 4byin', have an idea where the air dryer is to prevent obstacles from hitting it, do the maintenance ahead of time and use your head when out there. Thanks for that. Louisiana sounds rough!

To give more context about what I'm asking about, here are some pics from the area I'm in. I'd like to drive across this terrain and around/over some of these hills to hide from people :D and be at one with the country. Aside from the peaks on the horizon, does this look doable in a 934A2? Like going around the first hill with the trees in the first pic or any other hill?

country2.jpgcountry1.jpgrock1.jpg

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The thorny scrub will puncture the tires. The CTIS will help but you will have slow leaks. Basically the same terrain I drove in El Paso.

Nomadic

The thorny scrub will puncture the tires. The CTIS will help but you will have slow leaks. Basically the same terrain I drove in El Paso.
What was it like for you to drive the terrain in El Paso aside from the thorny scrub?

In the pictures attached, I walked out to the first hill on the left and it seemed like a big truck could handle that.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man you seem like your in for an adventure my friend. I cant speak about personal experience with over landing with a MV. Cant really say my deuce is 100% trust worthy for that yet... But I have gone on some fun trips in my Land Rovers and I can tell you that no matter the rig and prep you have done something can happen at anytime. I wouldn't take this trip solo.. I don't mean taking someone in the truck with you, more like having a convoy of trucks of equal size and abilities. I understand your very knowledgeable with Jeep 4x4 fun and that could help you with understanding terrain and looking for simple paths but I still think you should still have more than one truck out with you in case you get stuck, flip on your side:gimp2:, have a major malfunction, have a hernia changing a tire:oops:. When you do go out have fun and we need some proof tho! I wish you safe travels and a great time!!!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I would much rather have the 934 on dual 11.00s or 12.00s for better traction and stability though.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
It's all about route selection. I'm the type of guy that if I have the option of driving through a mud puddle or not driving through a mud puddle, I don't drive through the mud puddle. You want to test the capabilities of your truck, that sounds good but I won't be the one to come get you when you bust something up.

Best thing is to have another truck with you capable of towing you broke a@@ home at the end of the day.

The truck will handle the terrain, I could do it with the proper recon. At the end of the day the desert thorny scrub will get into your tires. As for split rims, I have not hand the personal experience but do know a member here that did have the experience of his tire getting flattened and coming off the rim due to that environment all within a few minutes.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure if I am the one Carnac refers to but I had issues with tubed tire off-roading in the El Paso area. The problem is if you air down significantly due to the terrain, the wheel spins in the tire ripping the valve stem off the tube. Problem solved with combat wheels and bead locks. Airing down is crucial to slow, predictable travel cross country. These trucks do perform quite well cross country but be cognizant of the high center of gravity on a 934. Also, the long wheelbase and rear overhang make you susceptible to hanging up.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
For those of you who have never had the full military experience let me mansplain how things work.

Military vehicles are built in series (M800, M900, etc) by the lowest bidder. Note: Lowest bidder does not equate to lowest price, generally only lowest quality.

In the past military vehicles were built to be tough and to survive harsh conditions while being driven and maintained by young soldiers who are thinking about everything except maintaining their vehicles (much to the consternation of their long suffering NCOs).

Now they are built to adhere to idiotic environmental regulations and are less reliable than your local crack dealer. You cannot push start any vehicle in today's military vehicle inventory. They are all automatics so if your battery is dead you are screwed, blued and tattooed unless you have another military vehicle or two twelve volt batteries, a connector cable and a set of heavy jumper cables to jump start you. They are still driving by the same young soldiers that care little about maintaining them.

During peace time and when units are not deployed to combat areas or on Field Training Exercises (FTXs) MVs spend a lot of time sitting idle in Motor Pools where they are usually started once a week (Motor Stables) if the unit is not doing essential Sensitivity Training or other such mandated nonsense.

When a unit deploys or goes on an FTX they travel in large numbers with a wrecker following them and mechanics to support them. They haul a lot of spare parts and fuel with them for obvious reasons. If a truck is on a mission by itself it is not more than a radio or phone call away from support or recovery.

When we adopt these noble beasts we are often on our own for recovery or repair and that can be problematic if you are out in the boondocks by yourself when things go south.

If you get stuck there are field expedient methods for extracting yourself. There is even a manual on it but I forget the number.

Most of those methods will bear no resemblance to your situation because the manual was written by some Staff Officer with only passing knowledge of how tactical vehicles actually work.

There are also a lot of field expedient ways to get your broke dik truck back to an expensive repair shop if you can't fix it on the spot. It is covered in the same Vehicle Recovery and Evacuation Technical Manual. See above statement. The last time I looked at that particular manual it still had directions for fixing the carb on an M151 Jeep. Maybe they have updated it and a new Staff Officer wrote it.

My M927A2 has never been in the mud. One of our SS buddies was the assigned driver for it when it belonged to the Florida National Guard. He told me it was an admin supply truck that lived a pampered life. He still hasn't forgiven me for buying it out from under him.

The bottom line is that these trucks are expensive toys. They are tough but they can be broken and have issues due to fair wear and tear and neglect.

Use common sense and make sure you have a Plan B if the doo doo hits the air circulation device.

If you come across that manual I referenced throw it away (just kidding.....it has some useful info but take it with a grain of salt).

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
El Paso cross-country experience

I have driven many miles in the desert terrain around El Paso. I have yet to have a mesquite thorn penetrate an MV tubeless tire. Not saying it cannot happen, just not to me yet. When I off-road, I frequently drive right through small mesquite bushes. I find mesquite thorns in the tires but they do not go deep enough as the tread area of the tires is quite thick. I have never found a thorn sticking out of the sidewall. I do avoid larger woody stemmed bushes because a broken branch can form an excellent spear. Sagebrush in particular, tends to snap off on a diagonal across the branch leaving a sharp point. By far, the most damage I have done to tires is due to rocks. Spinning tires on rocks really causes damage to tread and sidewall. Airing down significantly reduces tire spinning.

How much to air down varies greatly with vehicle load. On the 927, I generally use about 30 psi in the fronts and 18 - 20 in the rears. On the deuce, it is 25 psi on the fronts and 8-12 in the rears. All are super singles. It is more about the amount that the tire sidewall "pooches" out and less about the actual tire pressure. I have run the deuce rears as low as zero in really soft sand without problems as I have run-flats on that truck. The bottom line is you need as much flotation as possible as long as the vehicle and load remain stable. The tubed tires I spun were at 12 to 15 psi on the deuce. Again, a heavier vehicle does not need as low a pressure to get the proper sidewall "pooch".

I have ripped the rear air lines out when dragging the tail of the 927, and I drag the tail all the time due to the long overhang. I have bottomed out the belly of the truck bending the right side step and tool box support.

Attached is a picture of the 927 out in the sticks. The green bushes are sagebrush.

Attachments

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the way, I know Red has off-roaded a deuce without front axle engagement, while pulling an M105 trailer. This was in Big Bend National Park. It was not truly cross-country but the trails there are not graded roads, not by a long shot.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is exactly the kind of thing these trucks were made for.

They were also made to be operated in groups, with sufficient infrastructure and support. A 2nd vehicle of equal capability is pretty much a must. Or at least a reliable way to get back to paved roads if the MV breaks down.

Shorter wheelbase vehicles outperform longer wheelbase. Consider approach angle and departure angle. The M931A2 is probably the most capable of the 5tons in Stock form. Winches are great, but they have a substantial impact on approach angle...

Compare departure angle on the M927 to departure angle on this modified M931 -

20161114_155503.jpgattachment-44.jpg

Last edited:

red

By the way, I know Red has off-roaded a deuce without front axle engagement, while pulling an M105 trailer. This was in Big Bend National Park. It was not truly cross-country but the trails there are not graded roads, not by a long shot.
Besides that first turn on Black Gap Trail it was a easy offroad trip, power steering would have turned that 11ish point turn into a 3-5 point turn hahaha. With the rock waterfall on that trail the deuce idled up it in 4x6 no problem.

P1010260.jpg

With any expedition vehicle it needs to be self sufficient, difference is with these vehicles is that the equipment you need is bigger. Don't drive into deep mud and should be fine.

On this trail with the tires at 30psi the deuce was floating on the sand and drove slowly everywhere with no problem. Had a side by side come up behind me and he sank to the bottom of the body when he came to a stop.

IMG_20150511_125800777.jpg

As far as rolling hazard, you will lose comfort with the angle before the truck rolls.

Mos68x

I would post pics of my truck in a couple spots but the **** pic uploaded won't work. I live out on a fire trail so my roads aren't smooth at all. I used to think that they were OK to rough, but that was with my 1 ton van, since getting the 5 ton and driving it out here I've since changed my opinion to ROUGH, lol

I also used to be irritated that I didn't have 927/928 chassis, but this this 934 chassis has been a blessing in disguise. I have bumped the back of the 927 bed and drug the pintle on the 934 chassis, but never enough to hang me up. I'll keep everything the way it is and make my tongue on the custom trailer a wee bit longer to make up for the bed overhang, or get a hold of a dolly set.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks