• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

lsmft

plym49

Keep in mind most non-directional tires on the front will just about be worn out @ 5K miles.

That's why it is good to carry two jacks so you can rotate them to the rear every 1K mi.

I also recommend one of those 3/4" battery electric impacts (Earthquake from Harbor Freight) for the job. The air on a tactical just can't keep up with an air wrench.

It pays...

DG
I don't have NDT tires. See the photo posted up front. Singled, too.

Will that HF tool last for more than 30 seconds?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes, I was worried about I68 for a couple of reasons. Glad you chimed in.

Is it only I68 that is an issue? What about I79 in Morgantown and below?

What about picking up I 76 at Harrisburg and either taking I79 south in Pittsburgh or taking I70 west to Columbus?
Turnpike has a few hills. Just take 76 to the turnpike and go across thru wheeling. Few long hills especially over near wheeling.

79 down thru Clarksburg isn't much better than 68.

plym49

Turnpike has a few hills. Just take 76 to the turnpike and go across thru wheeling. Few long hills especially over near wheeling.

79 down thru Clarksburg isn't much better than 68.
If I read you correctly, you are suggesting this route:

1622837525366.png

Or, is 81 a better shot (hate passing that close to DC, though).

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 836017

That's close to 40 hours of seat time - plan accordingly. I have no comments on the route selection.

I acquired a new to me M35A2C last week and drove it about 600 miles home. It was two easy, mostly enjoyable days. Completely uneventful as far as problems go.

A couple years ago I acquired an M936A2 and drove it about 1500 miles home. Day 1 got off to a later than expected start. I made the decision to stop about 120 miles short of the first day goal. Got a room at about 11pm. The next day I blew a tire very shortly after leaving the motel. It was a beautiful day in sunny NM and I was well rested. Changing that tire wasn't horribly unpleasant. It would have been a far different story at midnight the night before had I tried to push on....

Some related pics just for S&G -

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

View attachment 836017

Just stay on 76 at Harrisburg 76 will turn into 70 over South of Pittsburgh.

81 isn't bad at all there is traffic but it's hit or miss at certain times of the day. More places for help than along a toll road across PA where it could be 30mi to the next exit. Etc.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My HF wrench has a li-ion battery, will do a front and rear duals easily on one charge.

There is room in the case for an extra battery, I advise buying an extra as a matter of use.

They will recharge quickly with the wart supplied, altogether a pretty good deal for around $300.

DG

t

jimm1009

Having driven my M35A2 from Baton Rouge, LA to Louisville, KY about two years ago I would like to make a couple of suggestions. Hearing protection and a way for hands free cell usage as many states will pull you over for having a cell phone to your ear as they will for having it in your hand for using as a GPS.
The most important things are making sure you have good brakes in the way of wheel cylinders, good clean, fresh DOT 5 in the lines, and fresh grease in those hub bearings. I had a wheel cylinder stick driving on the interstate and it is no fun when you have to work in an isolated area of a truck stop parking lot.
Of course my up-side was the previous owner had put MRAP tires and wheels on so I maintained 63 MPH most of the time.
I highly recommend a fuel lubricant as well and you will need to use 100% diesel in the mountains in order to get the most BTUs for power.
I can not stress enough about having a base line on bearings and wheel cylinders. If they stick it is a nightmare come true as a minimum.
I am still in Louisville so please PM me for my contact information if you choose I-64 for part of your journey.
This will be a trip you will remember for the rest of your days and as others said, pictures, pictures, pictures. :)
jimm1009 here on s.s.
or
m1009jim@yahoo.com

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I was worried about I68 for a couple of reasons. Glad you chimed in.

Is it only I68 that is an issue? What about I79 in Morgantown and below?

What about picking up I 76 at Harrisburg and either taking I79 south in Pittsburgh or taking I70 west to Columbus?
I70 from Washington, PA is not too bad and you want to take the bypass I270 going around Columbus going south, They have I70/I71 downtown turned into a cluster right now with construction.

plym49

Having driven my M35A2 from Baton Rouge, LA to Louisville, KY about two years ago I would like to make a couple of suggestions. Hearing protection and a way for hands free cell usage as many states will pull you over for having a cell phone to your ear as they will for having it in your hand for using as a GPS.
The most important things are making sure you have good brakes in the way of wheel cylinders, good clean, fresh DOT 5 in the lines, and fresh grease in those hub bearings. I had a wheel cylinder stick driving on the interstate and it is no fun when you have to work in an isolated area of a truck stop parking lot.
Of course my up-side was the previous owner had put MRAP tires and wheels on so I maintained 63 MPH most of the time.
I highly recommend a fuel lubricant as well and you will need to use 100% diesel in the mountains in order to get the most BTUs for power.
I can not stress enough about having a base line on bearings and wheel cylinders. If they stick it is a nightmare come true as a minimum.
I am still in Louisville so please PM me for my contact information if you choose I-64 for part of your journey.
This will be a trip you will remember for the rest of your days and as others said, pictures, pictures, pictures. :)
jimm1009 here on s.s.
or
m1009jim@yahoo.com
Thank you for the advice and I will let you know if I pass by you. Will PM my cell.

71DeuceAK

That's close to 40 hours of seat time - plan accordingly. I have no comments on the route selection.

I acquired a new to me M35A2C last week and drove it about 600 miles home. It was two easy, mostly enjoyable days. Completely uneventful as far as problems go.

A couple years ago I acquired an M936A2 and drove it about 1500 miles home. Day 1 got off to a later than expected start. I made the decision to stop about 120 miles short of the first day goal. Got a room at about 11pm. The next day I blew a tire very shortly after leaving the motel. It was a beautiful day in sunny NM and I was well rested. Changing that tire wasn't horribly unpleasant. It would have been a far different story at midnight the night before had I tried to push on....

Some related pics just for S&G -
I remember when that trip was going on! Didn't you pick me up the same day that ended?

nukem

Are you apposed to night driving? I own a deuce and have done most of the route I'm laying out pulling a car on a trailer from Delaware.

I actually think it would be safer at night in a deuce. Put more reflective tape than you'd think was possible on the rear of the truck. Drive with the flashers on.

81 to Kingsport, 40/75 to chatttanooga

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Please remember the "bridge cracks" in Memphis. I'd steer clear of that area at all costs. All the interstates funnel through a couple of bridges in that area.
It's only about a 15 to 20min delay going thru on the old bridge. Coming from AR to TN is horrible though

Main bridge should be open in the next 14 days

plym49

Are you apposed to night driving? I own a deuce and have done most of the route I'm laying out pulling a car on a trailer from Delaware.

I actually think it would be safer at night in a deuce. Put more reflective tape than you'd think was possible on the rear of the truck. Drive with the flashers on.

I actually enjoy night driving. Less traffic and more courtesy. I have good lighting on the rear of the towed vehicle plus a yellow strobe.

plym49

That's the reverse of the route I took to go up north. Target is Texas 79.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks