• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drove two VFD deuces with the mechanical parking brakes removed?

nukem

They both have some sort of hydraulic valve mounted under the edge of the seat. I was instructed that you press on the brake pedal hard and flip this valve over to lock the brakes.

This sounds a bit shady to me. Fully pressurized brake system 24/7 causing failure, etc?

Said failure making me look for the truck at the bottom of the hollow behind my house.

TGP (IL)

They both have some sort of hydraulic valve mounted under the edge of the seat. I was instructed that you press on the brake pedal hard and flip this valve over to lock the brakes.

This sounds a bit shady to me. Fully pressurized brake system 24/7 causing failure, etc?

Said failure making me look for the truck at the bottom of the hollow behind my house.
It's probably a "Mico Lock (line brake)
They are not for permanent parking as the possibility of pressure bleed off is present causing catastrophic
Consequences.

From Mico
"MICO® Brake Locks are for supplemental parking and are to be used in conjunction with a vehicle's mechanical parking brake. They perform as operational parking brakes only and are not intended for prolonged parking."

There handy in winch trucks, wrecker's, utility, Etc. to hold the vehicle stationary while the operator is close by.
Tom

F18hornetM

Yup, used to have a micro lock on my family's gas station wrecker when I was kid, worked really well when pulling a car out of the woods. But we never used it for parking.

F18hornetM

Yup, used to have a line lock on my family's gas station wrecker when I was kid, worked really well when pulling a car out of the woods. But we never used it for parking.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. WHO is your VFD's SAFETY OFFICER?

2. Are you protected from reprisal by WHISTLE BLOWER LAWS in your State?

3. Check the INSURANCE ID CARD in the glove box. The Insurance Carrier might also be interested in this UNSAFE CONDITION.

NOTE: There ARE consequences. Your choice.

quickfarms

Are you Shore the mechanical parking brake was removed and you are not just a victim of some poor training that needs to be corrected.

I run across micro locks on equipment today. On hills the parking brake alone is not sufficient to hold some equipment and needs to be supplemented with the micro lock and chocks.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Micro Lock", line brake, etc..... The M211s,w/w that I have (3 each), were setup with the electricly controlled brakes. I always thought it was a stock item, along with then mechanical parking brake. I always used the latter, and never got onto using the micro lock. I just didn't trust it.

rustystud

Are you Shore the mechanical parking brake was removed and you are not just a victim of some poor training that needs to be corrected.

I run across micro locks on equipment today. On hills the parking brake alone is not sufficient to hold some equipment and needs to be supplemented with the micro lock and chocks.
Actually Line Brakes (Micro-Locks) where never intended to help with parking in any form. They are only suppose to assist for a very limited time by locking all the wheels, like when using a wrecker to pull something. If the vehicles park brake is insufficient to hold it (even on a hill) then there is something wrong with the brake.

winfred

random 14k pound projectiles are the spice of life, whats more exciting then a deuce doing an impression of the koolaid guy through the side of your house?

Is there something wrong by having a "safe" vehicle ? If you think so then let me know when your driving on the road.

nukem

Rusty, the entire parking brake assembly along with new pads were located under the passenger seat...

Update... I picked out the better driving of the two and drove it home fifteen miles away without incident. Went through the fluids which all looked fresh. An old military buddy drove down last night for recovery. He and another friend driving chase car drove her 300 miles to Newport, Tn. Without skipping a beat. She's a great runner with hardtop and winch. The VFD even left the rear pto on it!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks