• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dry Flush Toilet (Laveo)

Third From Texas

I shied away from these a few years back only due to the cost of the refill bags (if they weren't veteran-owned and made in the USA I'd have China clone me the replacement cassette for half of what they charge). The "cassette" is really nothing more than the ring,. a long Mylar bag (which gets twisted each flush) and a section of cardboard (which winds the bag). Honestly, if you cloned the ring, the Mylar is pennies to source but I digress.

Pretty simple design once you study it. Fan with controller (timed one way, then reverse). Air-tight container. Mylar bag. Bag twisting mechanism (in this case, turn the cardboard at the base of the bag). Fan push, fan pull. Done. NASA shit (literally).

So my build plan currently specs only fresh and black tanks (it's a guy-thing, but I'm going to add a small urinal that can divert dump direct to ground for the great outdoors). Showers, kitchen sink, same. The only time I planned to divert to holding is if ever parked in front a friend's place or residential area. I piss outside after dark when camping anyway (sometimes at home). Again, I digress... LOL

A dry-flush would actually drop me to only fresh and a small grey tank (which the grey I actually already have but was not intending to use). I'm now leaning this direction. Less initial cost than a major brand compost, the Laveo is just over $700 (*still the most expensive toilet I will have ever sat on or purchased !) ;) The refills (from Laveo direct) end up being just over a dollar a crap (assuming you pee elsewhere and buy the 9-pack for $180 = 17 flush x 9 / number of craps per day). So that's not as bad as I figured a couple years back. It's just me and my GSD (and perhaps the occasional stripper).

What I really like about these is that they are so simple and anything can go in them (feminine hygiene products flushed down the head on a boat and you know this has value already). And it's legal to dispose of anywhere in any trash can.

Anyway, just another option out there. But for a dollar or two a day....not having the "stir the shit" (I miss FaceBook...NOT!) every day (compost toilet) or dump your tanks at an RV shitter terminal (don't forget you gloves) or have to slosh crap everywhere dumping a cassette toilet/Coleman tent crapper (never dump it in your own home), this makes more sense every time I think about it...

Anyone use one?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Third From Texas

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I shied away from these a few years back only due to the cost of the refill bags (if they weren't veteran-owned and made in the USA I'd have China clone me the replacement cassette for half of what they charge). The "cassette" is really nothing more than the ring,. a long Mylar bag (which gets twisted each flush) and a section of cardboard (which winds the bag). Honestly, if you cloned the ring, the Mylar is pennies to source but I digress.

Pretty simple design once you study it. Fan with controller (timed one way, then reverse). Air-tight container. Mylar bag. Bag twisting mechanism (in this case, turn the cardboard at the base of the bag). Fan push, fan pull. Done. NASA shit (literally).

So my build plan currently specs only fresh and black tanks (it's a guy-thing, but I'm going to add a small urinal that can divert dump direct to ground for the great outdoors). Showers, kitchen sink, same. The only time I planned to divert to holding is if ever parked in front a friend's place or residential area. I piss outside after dark when camping anyway (sometimes at home). Again, I digress... LOL

A dry-flush would actually drop me to only fresh and a small grey tank (which the grey I actually already have but was not intending to use). I'm now leaning this direction. Less initial cost than a major brand compost, the Laveo is just over $700 (*still the most expensive toilet I will have ever sat on or purchased !) ;) The refills (from Laveo direct) end up being just over a dollar a crap (assuming you pee elsewhere and buy the 9-pack for $180 = 17 flush x 9 / number of craps per day). So that's not as bad as I figured a couple years back. It's just me and my GSD (and perhaps the occasional stripper).

What I really like about these is that they are so simple and anything can go in them (feminine hygiene products flushed down the head on a boat and you know this has value already). And it's legal to dispose of anywhere in any trash can.

Anyway, just another option out there. But for a dollar or two a day....not having the "stir the shit" (I miss FaceBook...NOT!) every day (compost toilet) or dump your tanks at an RV shitter terminal (don't forget you gloves) or have to slosh crap everywhere dumping a cassette toilet/Coleman tent crapper (never dump it in your own home), this makes more sense every time I think about it...

Anyone use one?

Thoughts?

Interesting. But the music........

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like one more possible point of failure.

I am leaning toward the composting option specifically because of simplicity.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A blackwater tank is easy when your just building your truck to bury it down low some where and it doesnt have to be big at all and your not walking around with a casset full of poop which is not ever going to be on my list of things to do ! Just use biodegradeable thetford toilet paper and the blue liquid thetford in every wallmart and flying j in the country . Get a flex hose just in case you want to dump at a flying j truckstop and plumb the truck so only the comode goes to the tank the sinks and shower water goes on the ground you can put cutoffs in the pvc if you were some where you couldnt put grey water on the ground . put a 12v dump valve on the blackwater tank so you just find a good spot and hit the button and its all done and you didnt have to do the walk of shame

ramdough

I plan on doing a diy composting toilet. I will try to find my post on that from EXPO.

I have never found anyone that knew how to use a composting toilet that did not love it compared to a black tank. The only ones I saw with issues were on YouTube and they obviously did not know how to use them properly. By use, I mean they did not properly install them or did not use enough of the drying materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramdough

Here is a good discussion on the topic.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I plan on doing a diy composting toilet. I will try to find my post on that from EXPO.

I have never found anyone that knew how to use a composting toilet that did not love it compared to a black tank. The only ones I saw with issues were on YouTube and they obviously did not know how to use them properly. By use, I mean they did not properly install them or did not use enough of the drying materials.

How many people will a compost toilet support ?

ramdough

How many people will a compost toilet support ?

Most composting toilets that go in an RV really only dry out the poop (like cat litter does) and possibly break it into smaller dirt like pieces. The saw dust, coconut husks, pear moss, etc…. Soaks up the water and then a fan sucks the moisture and odors outside.

The poop is actually not composted until later when dumped in a secondary composting process.

I plan to accommodate 4 people with a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket with a stirrer. I can carry a couple buckets or just dump as I need to. I am thinking that is a reasonable ratio of people to bucket size.

I bought my separator from England through a common auction site (the brand is this one https://strumpetandtrollop.com) and plumb in a fixed P tank that I can dump through a hose as needed.

You could probably use it with more people, but will have to dump more and pay attention to how wet things get.

I am no expert, but this is what I am thinking. Other forums may have better info than I have. Maybe call C-head as they are closest to what most DIY people would build if you want a recommendation for people quantity.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
!0-4 thanks for the info its just hard to teach an old dog a new trick for 30 years i flush the toilet with my left foot and dumped the tank with a rocker switch on the dash and thats as close to waste managment as im willing to participate in. lol

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys are way overthinking the problem.
A couple of tall kitchen trash bags and this, is all you need.

IMG_20200110_114724934.jpg

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had an Incinolet for years at our remote site. We had it in a homebrew motorhome for a while. It really sucks up the electrons when working, but the genset is fired up when using it, and it takes the 'residue' from two people for a week into a little saucepan-sized deal you empty wherever. Looks like cigar ashes. Ain't cheap, but very convenient.

Dennis

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks