• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual Steering Stabilizer for Deuce

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got a PM From TriStar1, wanting to know what I've done to help make the steering/handling more manageable with 395/85R20's (46"), figured I'd share...

About 8 months ago, I fabbed up this dual steering stabilizer set-up, got the initial idea from a single-damper set-up donnerwetter58 had posted here; https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?48332-Steering-Stabilizer/page2 . I'm not suggesting anyone do this, it's simply what I found helped, and if anyone else does anything I've done here they do it at their own risk...
IMG_20180325_140944203_HDR.jpgIMG_20180325_141015760_HDR.jpgIMG_20180325_140956661_HDR.jpgSteerstabil1 001.jpgSteerstabil2 001.jpgSteerstabil3 001.jpg

The dampers are Monroe #555949. If you buy some, make sure they're position-neutral (shouldn't have/need shipping tie-straps on them, and shouldn't lengthen on their own if compressed/released) and make sure there are 2 hardware kits with each damper (one for each end/eylet of the damper). Monroe had a bad batch of these awhile back, and some vendors (CARiD for one) got ahold of them and were selling them off as new. I sourced good ones from RockAuto.

The U-Bolts are Fastenal #1174635

Sketches... I did some R&D/tweaking along the way, and I know the dimensions on what I wound up with vary a bit from the drawings. If you plan on making a set-up like this, you'll need to verify what works SAFELY with the geometry on YOUR TRUCK. But at least you can get an idea of what I did from the pics.

(The hoses in the pics are for a remote axle vent set-up, nothing to do with the steering)

Pic# 4 shows an end view drawing of the bracket that clamps onto the tie rod (as viewed from truck right side), made from a section of 2x2, 3/16" wall, square steel tubing.

Pics# 5&6 are the two halves of a full-size end-view layout I did for the bracket that attaches to the axle plate (once again from truck right side). The unused holes seen in the bracket (pic #3) were drilled because I didn't know initially if I was going to mount the bracket on the left-side or right-side axle plate. Turned out the geometry only worked if the axle mount was on truck right side.

-I've got to mention that my truck has Hydraulic Power Steering from Boyce Equipment in Ogden Utah (M35, non-ram type). But even with PS, the bump steer impulses were somewhat sharp at times. The twin stabilizer has really helped.

-I've also found that 45psi in the fronts, and 30 psi in the rears really helps the ride, and reduces the steering impulses.

-I did check to make sure that all the steering/suspension components were tight, and that I had adequate toe-in. IIRC, mine was about 3/16".

-A few questions folks tend to ask regarding the stabilizer set-up;
"How's the return to center?". Well, of course it's nothing like it is on a stock Deuce, but not having to constantly two-hand white-knuckle the steering wheel is well worth the trade-off IMO.
"How is it wheelin'?" I couldn't tell ya. I feel my truck has earned it's retirement. It takes me to lunch, the hardware store, and shooting matches, but as long as I own it, it's days of tree-bashing and mud-bogging are over.

-When I get a chance I've also got the caster mod on my to-do list (done 05/13/2018 with the help of a friend with a milling machine (... Thanks Roger!), with the hydraulic power steering, stabilizer, and caster mod, the truck steers like a dream!);
Leaf spring seat Camber mod.jpgIMG_20180513_104101551.jpgIMG_20180513_130353626.jpg

Last edited:

URSATDX

How do you think it would work on the, already overworked, air assist steering on an A3?
Nice truck!

Nice signature.

Last edited:

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you think it would work on the, already overworked, air assist steering on an A3?
Nice truck!

Nice signature.
Thanks, I honestly don't know about fittment/function with air assist, and I wouldn't want to lead you in the wrong direction by venturing a guess.

CMPPhil

Hi

Think the key word is damper, don't think the power steering will really know it is there, years ago I put steering dampers on two of my trucks which have manual steering, because was tired of having elbow driven into the door bye steering kick back from an hitting obstacles particularly when off road. I had concerns about overloading the power steering ME. What I found though was that even with the tires off the ground it is hard to spin the steering wheel fast enough to feel the drag of the damper.

Only time I've felt any significant drag is when it really cold, then can't tell if is damper or stiff grease in rest of the steering.

Interesting thread.

Cheers Phil

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks